What 3pdt wiring do you use; why?

Started by tehfunk, April 16, 2009, 09:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tehfunk

I use the one from tonepad's offboard wiring pdf which allows for an led. I don't see a lot of people using this method, so i was wondering what are the other methods and what are their advantages? Here's a pic of the method I use:

Thanks!
-Sam
Carvin CT6M > diystompboxes.com > JCM800 4010

The tools of the artist give you a chance to twist and bend the laws of nature and to cut-up and reshape the fabric of reality - John Frusciante

Nitefly182

I prefer to ground the input when the effect is in bypass which keeps the pedal from popping when I hit the switch. The only ground on the tonepad diagram is for the LED. I dont have a diagram though.

davent

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Tantalum7

If you follow the connections for the switch in both positions, the above tonepad diagram does ground the input during bypass.  This is also why it states so at the bottom of the diagram.  I use the tonepad method above--no pops yet.   

Sody54

I use this one.  I think only because it was the first way I learned to do it and it made sense to my noob brain.  :icon_biggrin:

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/DRAGONFLY-LAYOUTS_0/The-Mod-Zone-_/EZ_3PDT_WIRING.gif.html

Brian

FlyingZ

My Rat's LED diodes would flicker and alter tone when bypassed until I grounded the input.

MikeH

Quote from: Nitefly182 on April 16, 2009, 10:06:12 PM
I prefer to ground the input when the effect is in bypass which keeps the pedal from popping when I hit the switch. The only ground on the tonepad diagram is for the LED. I dont have a diagram though.

Hey if you take a second look at that tonepad diagram you'll notice that the effect input is grounded via that jumper whe it's in bypass.  I use this wiring all of the time; it works well.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

FlyingZ

Quote from: MikeH on April 16, 2009, 11:26:37 PM
Hey if you take a second look at that tonepad diagram you'll notice that the effect input is grounded via that jumper whe it's in bypass.  I use this wiring all of the time; it works well.
I didn't even look  :icon_redface:

Nitefly182

Quote from: Tantalum7 on April 16, 2009, 10:50:58 PM
If you follow the connections for the switch in both positions, the above tonepad diagram does ground the input during bypass.  This is also why it states so at the bottom of the diagram.  I use the tonepad method above--no pops yet.   

Wow I must be completely blind.

Tantalum7

Quote from: Nitefly182 on April 17, 2009, 12:21:05 AM
Quote from: Tantalum7 on April 16, 2009, 10:50:58 PM

Wow I must be completely blind.

Well, after your initial posting, I had to prove to myself that tonepad wasn't lying by actually following the wires.  I figured you had noticed something I didn't, and I'd been left with a floating input on about 5 pedals. 

Mugshot

what i understand from the above diagram is that when the circuit is bypassed, the LED connection is disconnected, the input gets grounded through the jumper and into the sleeve terminal of the jack. or i must be missing something.
i am what i am, so are you.

Tantalum7

Quote from: Mugshot on April 17, 2009, 01:43:35 AM
what i understand from the above diagram is that when the circuit is bypassed, the LED connection is disconnected, the input gets grounded through the jumper and into the sleeve terminal of the jack. or i must be missing something.

Yes, this is the conclusion I also came to when I followed the connections on the diagram above.  It states that it grounds the input in bypass, and it does.

anchovie

I used the grounded input method because it stops high-gainers from oscillating and the bypass wires picking it up as interference.
Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

jefe

Quote from: tehfunk on April 16, 2009, 09:32:14 PM
I use the one from tonepad's offboard wiring pdf which allows for an led. I don't see a lot of people using this method, so i was wondering what are the other methods and what are their advantages?

Yo sam, that's the one I use. Well, slightly modified to remove the battery... changed the colors of the wires... but yeah, this wiring has been good to me.

SonicVI

Quote from: Sody54 on April 16, 2009, 10:54:20 PM
I use this one.  I think only because it was the first way I learned to do it and it made sense to my noob brain.  :icon_biggrin:

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/DRAGONFLY-LAYOUTS_0/The-Mod-Zone-_/EZ_3PDT_WIRING.gif.html

Brian

Same here. It's just how I've done for years so I don't have to think about it like the other ways.

Toney

Compared em all...

Tonepad's is 'the one' in my opinion.  :icon_cool:

Ice-9

Quote from: Sody54 on April 16, 2009, 10:54:20 PM

Brian

If you add a jumper wire from the orange input connection to the unused centre connection it will add the ground for the input bypass. other than that its the same as the tonepad version. (i keep the led in the middle poles also)
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

gtudoran

Is there any way to ground the input when effect is bypassed and to use a led with millenium bypass (useing a DPDT sw insted of 3PDT sw.). An answer willl be gladly appreciate, as i whant to put 2 effects in the same enclosure(like a TS808 and a Dynacomp Compressor).

Best regards,
Gabriel

R.G.

Quote from: gtudoran on April 28, 2009, 01:17:07 PM
Is there any way to ground the input when effect is bypassed and to use a led with millenium bypass (useing a DPDT sw insted of 3PDT sw.). An answer willl be gladly appreciate, as i whant to put 2 effects in the same enclosure(like a TS808 and a Dynacomp Compressor).
Try ...reading... geofex.com. Specifically in this case, the Millenium C.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

jimosity

I've always preferred the Beavis Audio version....

Jim Rodgers
jim@americanhc.com