Parts in Australia

Started by Night0wl, January 17, 2006, 02:36:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night0wl

Hi all,

I am wondering if any aussies in this forum can let me know of a store in NSW/ACT that can supply all the parts for various projects (ie; overdrive and booster pedals in particular)?

pyrop

Hey NightOwl Jaycar & Dick Smith are about the only places I know of in Oz although I've heard of a couple of others but can't remember who they are and I think they are in Melbourne. Smallbear does a good deal and has reasonable postage I hear as well as Aron (click the store link above). I've used Futurelec a couple of times but the parts come from Thiland and can be slow with the postage.

pyrop ;D

MrChameleon

Hi there

This is an old topic from the previous forum - I think it still works:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=23892

Best

Chris

Ken

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Definitely get an Altronics catalog!
Wiltronics (Ballarat) and Rockby (Melbourne) have helped me out too, both are very DIY friendly (compared to Dick Smith).

smccusker

Another ACT diyer? that makes three of us now.
I get most of my stuff from dick smith and jaycar. Rockby electronics is good (and expensive) for less availible ICs and trannies and things. Though some things I just havent been able to find an Australian supplier for, so I ordered from Smallbear and Aron and it was a pleasure on all counts.
Guitar -> Amp

Night0wl

Quote from: smccusker on January 17, 2006, 05:37:13 AM
Another ACT diyer?
Nah...I live about 2 hours from ACT (near Bathurst) so it is easier to get things there instead of driving 4 hours to Sydney :)

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll check them all out.

Cheers,
Shane

smccusker

That's a strange coincidence, Bathurst is my hometown. I moved down to Canberra in '04 for Uni.
Guitar -> Amp

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Does anything good turn up at the Belconnen Trash & Treasure? I was in Canberra for 1978 but wasn't into stompboxes/DIY at the time.

smccusker

I've never been actually. I'll have to check it out.
There's this place at the tip where people can drop off stuff they dont want, but dont neccisarily want to throw out. It's a wealth of old electronic junk from stereos to answering machines. I usually go there once a month and load up.
Guitar -> Amp

SolderBoy

I'm lucky.  Where I am up here in 'vegas I have Dick Smith, Jaycar, and Delsound (Altronics re-seller) all within 5 minutes, and an RS about 15mins away.

I use Jaycar the most, by far.

You should definately get your hands on an RS Components calalogue.   www.rsaustralia.com

They can be a little pricey, but they have an emormous range of stuff (including hammond enclosures, from memory), and they'll ship overnight if you don't have a place close by.  Their printed catalogue is like a phone book, so go for the CD-Rom...

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

SolderBoy, Delsound seem interesting... any electronics store that sponsors a band can't be all bad! (I was hoping for stoner rock, though!)
Another possible in Brisbane is St Lucia Electronics, havn't dealt with them recently, but htey got me out of a hole once.

SolderBoy

QuoteDelsound seem interesting... any electronics store that sponsors a band can't be all bad!

Am I too young to get this?

Oh yeah I forgot about St Lucia Electronics over in Bowen Hills.  Actually I think they are called "Prime Electronics" now.  They're cool, except their on-line catalogue is a bit average...

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: SolderBoy on January 18, 2006, 08:20:08 AM
QuoteDelsound seem interesting... any electronics store that sponsors a band can't be all bad!
Am I too young to get this?

I don't know them at all, but I checked the website & they seem to have a lot of PA kind of stuff, and a message saying they supported a band.. followed the link & listened to a few tracks, a bit laid back for me! (and, I'm well on the 'mature' side of 50!)
Also, I have no idea what 'stoner rock' is, but last weekend i heard something from the kids nextdoor that surely must be it.. guess it is like p0rn, hard to define but you know it when you see it. Ramones, gabba & doof is more my stuff, guess that dates me..

SolderBoy

Ah I see.  Thought you were making a joke about the Deltones or something!

Yeah one of the guys that works there is one of us(!)  I often have chats with him about DIY pedals etc...