Basic Buffer Question

Started by little.dipper, August 22, 2003, 01:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

little.dipper

Hello, I have a basic question about buffers. My setup starts with a wah then goes through a tubescreamer then on to a bunch more stuff. My wah is homemade, true bypass and tweaked to my liking. The tubescreamer is a stock TS9. I know the screamer has a buffer, but my wah does not. Would there be any advantage to adding a buffer to my wah, or maybe putting the TS before the wah? I kind of get the gist of how buffers work, but I guess I don't know if you only need one for your whole chain (at the beginning) or if it's better to have one on each tone-sucking pedal. Any info. would be appreciated. Thanks.

Johan

..ah....to buffer or not to buffer....
....I am one of those few people who like the buffer on my wha ( stock GCB-95...) and this is why...since the signal is no longer affected by the low impedance of the input of the wha, there will be more treble going into the circuit and the wha will sound more agressive...but since you allready have a TS-9 witch has a buffered output, just putting the TS-9 before the wha will give the same result. so just try and see witch YOU like more. there is no right or wrong, just preferences...
having a buffer somewhere between the guitar and the amp also brings one other good thing that it seems no one ever mentions...if you play a humbucker guitar through a tubeamp, you've probably noticed how muddy the tone gets when you turn down the volume on your guitar...this has to do with the series resistance in the vol.pot working toghether with the capacitance in the tubes ( sheap cables makes it even worse...). with a buffer you wount loose nearly as much treble when you turn down the volume on your guitar...cleaner, but still bright and shiny... :D

Johan
DON'T PANIC

SoundTech

Sometimes people buffer individual pedals, sometimes before and/or after their effects chain.  It depends on what's needed, and your ears.  A buffer before your wah could sure help.  Try one.  Also, as said, there's no right or wrong, so experiment, but my personal preference is I like my distortion effects after my wah.
Sound Tech
  (((O)))