Foolproof way of building on veroboard

Started by RandomGlitch, November 15, 2012, 05:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RandomGlitch

I have not seen anyone else do this, apologies if someone has.

I wanted to make sure that I was getting by vero builds correct, but I often make silly mistakes. So to help myself what I did was print out the vero layout I was using at the exact same size as the vero itself. This took a few tries to get the exact scaling, holding it up to the light on a the vero to check.

Anyway I cut it out an stuck it to the plain side of the vero.  Then I went over with a tack punching the holes ready for the components. I found trying to stick the components thru the paper just bent the leads on all but the beefiest resistors.

Here's a picture. Now I just have to fill up the board, it's easy to see where I've missed something.

One could also flip the board diagram and paste it on the other side to make sure you got all the cuts right (of course you'd have to remove it after that).

brett

Genius.
Could use it on complex PCBs too (MXR envelope filter comes to mind - it's a mess).
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Seljer

Murphy's law declares that you're still going to miss one of the trace cuts  :D

RandomGlitch

Ha! Yes well maybe, but using a colour printout with just the cuts on, in red, on the reverse, should help.

petey twofinger

really smart , thanks for sharing this idea . the last two things i did , i botched cuts .

any tips on the scaling ?
im learning , we'll thats what i keep telling myself

RandomGlitch

It's a bit of trial-and error, and everyone's computer/printer is different but this is what I did:

1. Print out the schematic at 100% manual scaling
2. Measure 20 holes apart on the printout, in mm
3. Find scaling that should be correct = 50.8 x 100 / measurement
4. print out again at this scale
5. check it
6. If not correct, change scale by 2% try again.
7. Gradually adjust scaling till its spot on with vero

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: RandomGlitch on November 15, 2012, 07:58:05 PM
It's a bit of trial-and error, and everyone's computer/printer is different but this is what I did:

1. Print out the schematic at 100% manual scaling
2. Measure 20 holes apart on the printout, in mm
3. Find scaling that should be correct = 50.8 x 100 / measurement
4. print out again at this scale
5. check it
6. If not correct, change scale by 2% try again.
7. Gradually adjust scaling till its spot on with vero

This is a pretty awesome idea. I hate that unsettled feeling when you finish cutting traces. I have to count the cuts 20 times till I'm at ease.  But the scaling process is how I do all of my pcbs because I can never get it to scale correctly on its own. It's always 1 or 2% off
  • SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

davent

To scale a layout you could import it into Inkscape. Have the grid in Inkscape set for a 0.1" spacing. Veroboard holes are 0.1" or 2.54mm apart. Scale the layout so an IC's legs align with the 0.1" grid and there you have it. Print. Looking again at the printout, it shows all the vero holes so just match those to the Inkscape grid.

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

RandomGlitch

I'll do that next time! Much easier than  messing about measuring.   ;D

Perrow

"It's impossible to make things fool proof, because fools are so ingenious" - Murphy
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

RandomGlitch

Quote from: Perrow on November 16, 2012, 06:15:07 AM
"It's impossible to make things fool proof, because fools are so ingenious" - Murphy

So true!  ;D

bluebunny

Quote from: Seljer on November 15, 2012, 06:29:53 PM
Murphy's law declares that you're still going to miss one of the trace cuts  :D
Quote from: RandomGlitch on November 15, 2012, 06:44:01 PM
Ha! Yes well maybe, but using a colour printout with just the cuts on, in red, on the reverse, should help.

You could print the trace cuts in red, or colour them with a marker or highlighter.  I would imagine you will then be able to see the red from the trace side if you hold it up to the light?
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

davent

Quote from: RandomGlitch on November 16, 2012, 12:03:22 AM
I'll do that next time! Much easier than  messing about measuring.   ;D

Use to have to do the trial and error, print- measure-scale-print... plus additional steps to get an ExpressPCB layout, which was a pain,  they finally relented and changed the software so you could print a "correct" layout directly from the software. Wish i knew about Inkscape/grid method back then.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Jdansti

For cutting traces:

Before you insert any components, insert something like a tack or a scrap lead previously cut from a component, and insert it into each hole where the traces will be cut. Use some masking tape on the top side if necessary to hold the tacks or wires in place. Flip the board over and you'll see where each trace needs to be cut. If you use scrap leads, just clip them and then twist a drill bit with your fingers (not a drill!)  to cut the trace. If you use tacks, the take a Sharpie and mark each place where you'll have to cut a trace, remove the tape and tacks, and use the finger drilling method to cut the traces where you marked them.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Processaurus

Here is some info on this veroboard printout technique from a few years ago, and has specifics on how to size it correctly using Photoshop:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=47890.0

Whatever graphics software you use to print it, remember (like Davent noted) the hole spacing in perf/vero is always .100 inches, same as DIP IC's.

Renegadrian

Nice idea, plus it could be nice on the "it looks nice" side!
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!