The biggest question asked about the phase'rs

Started by Crontox102098, November 16, 2012, 11:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crontox102098

It's a silly question but it kills me to know, is this possible? :

The image of down not is exactly, is only a example...
I'm Carlos.

I speak spanish, just in case you do not understand what I say.

R.G.

It's not what you're looking for. Bipolars make poor variable resistors. They have poor, nonlinear collector/emitter resistance, very limited voltages for which they look like resistors to signals, high distortion, and offset voltages that make canceling out the control (in this case, LFo) voltages from the signal difficult.

Not impossible, but not really practical.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Crontox102098

Quote from: R.G. on November 17, 2012, 12:53:17 AM
It's not what you're looking for. Bipolars make poor variable resistors. They have poor, nonlinear collector/emitter resistance, very limited voltages for which they look like resistors to signals, high distortion, and offset voltages that make canceling out the control (in this case, LFo) voltages from the signal difficult.

Not impossible, but not really practical.

My despair makes me @#$%ing rare reach limits, I can use a phase 45 that I have reinforced bridges to a breadboard and try, you can? I would recommend any bipolar transistor for this?
I'm Carlos.

R.G.

Try it if you want to.

Just don't despair if it doesn't work well. It may do *something*, but I have tried similar things before. The results were always disappointing.

Trying things is always good if
(1) the likely results don't damage people, pets or buildings
(2) local laws and regulations are not broken
and
(3) you can afford the money and time the experiment takes if it's a bad result.
If these are true, then it is a form of self-education. Education is always expensive; but not being educated is even more expensive.

Even "nothing happens" or "Ugh! I did NOT want that result" is useful as an education. Just be prepared for those to be outcomes sometimes.

I don't know of any bipolar/NPN that's better than another.

My best advice is to try your experiments while you wait for your JFETs to arrive by mail.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Crontox102098

Quote from: R.G. on November 17, 2012, 11:17:13 AM
Try it if you want to.

Just don't despair if it doesn't work well. It may do *something*, but I have tried similar things before. The results were always disappointing.

Trying things is always good if
(1) the likely results don't damage people, pets or buildings
(2) local laws and regulations are not broken
and
(3) you can afford the money and time the experiment takes if it's a bad result.
If these are true, then it is a form of self-education. Education is always expensive; but not being educated is even more expensive.

Even "nothing happens" or "Ugh! I did NOT want that result" is useful as an education. Just be prepared for those to be outcomes sometimes.

I don't know of any bipolar/NPN that's better than another.

My best advice is to try your experiments while you wait for your JFETs to arrive by mail.

Thanks, i will try :D
I'm Carlos.