stereo effects wiring

Started by codycale, November 17, 2012, 07:09:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

codycale

i am making an effect/amp switching pedal. basically it is several mono true bypass loops to a mono to stereo bypass loop. from there the left and right channels get their own mono loops and they come together in a true stereo true bypass loop. it then goes into an aby selector for the amps. I am having a hard time figuring out how to wire the true stereo loop. I have a 4pdt switch and i know it can be done using the millenium bypass, but i cannot seem to wrap my head around how it would be wired. does anyone have a diagram? also, does anyone know how to wire an aby selector that has stereo inputs?

nocentelli

I would have thought you would need a buffer as part of the stereo bypass loop circuitry, to buffer the mono input -> stereo output when in bypass: The first stereo effect in the loop will have have that buffer as part of the input circuitry when the loop is engaged, but in bypass, if you have to passively split the signal to send it to two stereo bypass outs, you might notice a volume drop. A buffer with an output level control trimpot would allow you to match the fx/bypass levels, then set-and-forget.
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

codycale

Thanks for the reply. I do have buffers in the board. One at the input, one on each of the signals where the split from mono to stereo, and one on the left and right outputs. It's the stomp switch wiring that is throwing me outta whack.  I cannot figure out how to wire the stomp switch for stereo (two inputs, two outputs). I am assuming that I can do it with a 4pdt and use the millenium bypass for the LED, but I just can't picture it.

RickL

Think of the 4pdt as two seperate dpdts that happen to be controlled by the same actuator. Wire side A up to one side and side B up to the other side.

codycale

That makes sense.  How about wiring up the switches for a stereo aby selector?

slacker

Can you explain what you want the stereo ABY to do? Then someone can probably help you.

codycale

sorry, this is my first time posting here. what i want the aby to do is receive a left and right input (coming from a stereo delay). i want one signal to route to amp a and one signal to route to amp b. the a/b selector would choose which one is active and the y switch would turn them both on at the same time.

slacker

Cool that makes sense, I'll have a think about it.

slacker

Think this should do the the job. S1 is a DPDT and is your A/B, S2 is also DPDT and is Y. As it's drawn it's in A/B mode with A selected, the B output is grounded through S1B and S2B, stomp A/B and B becomes active and A gets grounded. Stomp Y and S2A connects both poles of S1A to the left input so whatever position A/B is in you get output on A, S2B does the the same for output B. If you used 3PDT switches the extra section could be used to add LEDs.

Hope that makes sense.

codycale

If i am picturing that correctly, it should be perfect!!!! Is there anyway that you could draw up a quick pic of the switches with the lugs labled so i can make sure I am seeing it correctly?  Thanks a ton man!!!

codycale

Please don't leave me hanging. I've been working on this for way too long to not get it right. I'm not good with switches in a schematic. I could really use a diagram of how to wire the lugs

codycale

anyone out there feeling kind enough to help me out by drawing a diagram for the switches of slacker's schematic?

slacker

I'll do you one tomorrow if no one beats me too it.

codycale

right on man. i really appreciate it!

slacker

Here you go, the sleeves of all the jacks should be connected to ground.

codycale

thank you, and sorry about the late reply, but it is much appreciated

digi2t

Quote from: codycale on November 17, 2012, 12:05:45 PM
sorry, this is my first time posting here. what i want the aby to do is receive a left and right input (coming from a stereo delay). i want one signal to route to amp a and one signal to route to amp b. the a/b selector would choose which one is active and the y switch would turn them both on at the same time.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=88008.0
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

codycale

am i wrong in thinking that this design would cause very large load issues???