My mate needs a single cap, best place to buy in UK?

Started by Skruffyhound, November 26, 2012, 04:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skruffyhound

Hello friends,
                   my mate James needs one of these

just one, where would he get the best deal in the UK, I'm thinking post/response time etc. He is in Hastings.
      Also, if anyone can identify it more precisely we would be grateful. My best guess from this photo is axial electro. It's in an amp AFAIK. ECN prefix says Panasonic to me but since I don't know what that refers to it might just be generic.
      Any help appreciated.
      Aston

tubegeek

It's not an electrolytic - too small a value and not marked with any polarity.

I'm not in the UK, sorry. Is there a local music amplifier repair shop that'll sell you one part? They'll certainly have one, it's a standard value for a coupling cap in a tube amplifier, among other uses.

Don't mess inside a tube amp unless you know what you're doing, right? That "450 V" marking isn't just for kicks - that voltage can be present even inside an amp that is powered down.
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

Skruffyhound

Bipolar?
You are probably right though, it is a small value for an electro, just doesn't seem big enough to be metal film ( at 450v) and doesn't look ceramic. I'm rusty at this and amps were never really my bag.
Thanks tubegeek, I've warned him of the dangers.
More suggestions?

davent

Have only heard good things about Ampmaker and that he is in the UK, not sure about just purchasing a single cap but anyways he has Mallory150's or Orange Drops either should do the job for him

http://www.ampmaker.com/store/Mallory-150-polyester-film-capacitors.html
http://www.ampmaker.com/store/Orange-Drop-capacitors.html

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

PRR

Modern film-caps at 0.01uFd 400V are sized:
6 mm Dia. x 16.5 mm L
5 mm Dia. x 11 mm L

I can't see mm in your picture, but it feels right for older Japanese production.

With cap out, put volt-meter across where it was. Odds are that it touches 400V at turn-on then drops to 200V. A 400V cap will be fine. (It is possible this is lower-voltage gear but 450V was the lowest voltage film they had at that time, and a much lower rating will be fine.)
  • SUPPORTER

markeebee

Hey tiger, I've definitely got some 0.047uf 630V yellow axial poly film Mallory caps like the Ampmaker link (or maybe Tube Amp Doctor branded equivalents), and I think I might have some 0.01uf as well but I'm not at home to check.

If you think they'll do the trick I'd be happy to post a couple to James if you PM his address.

Kesh

armdnrdy

I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Skruffyhound

Thanks everyone, I have no time to get to the bottom of this, see you in the weekend. I appreciate the input.
Mark, I'll be in touch.