Tried to modify a boss PSM-5, but where did I go wrong?

Started by charmonder, December 07, 2012, 11:21:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charmonder

I wanted to replace the send jack on a boss PSM-5 power supply master switch pedal so that I could remotely switch it from my boss gt-10 multi effect using it's amp control jack. Basically I cut the leads from the send jack and soldered the tip to boss footswitch and  the sleeve to the boss footswitch ground. If I use a normal footswitch on this new jack it  actually works. And I can use the boss gt-10 amp control function to switch channels on my amp fine. But when I use  the boss gt-10 amp control on the PSM-5 with said modifications, it doesn't work. any ideas?
successful transactions with forum members: bcalla, digi2t, and gutsofgold

slacker

Just to make sure I understand what you've done, you've disconnected the send jack and then connected wires to going to the PSM-5s footswitch, is that right?
I don't think this will work with the GT10, according to the manual amp off is a short and amp on is open, so it looks like it's a latching switch. The PSM-5 needs a momentary switch that is normally open and shorts when you press it, and then goes open again when you take your foot off. If you set the GT10 to amp on and then quickly changed it to amp off and back again it should work, I don't know if that's possibly though.

This might be a stupid question but if you've replaced the send jack what are you using the PSM-5 for anyway?

charmonder

Quote from: slacker on December 07, 2012, 01:02:13 PM
Just to make sure I understand what you've done, you've disconnected the send jack and then connected wires to going to the PSM-5s footswitch, is that right?
I don't think this will work with the GT10, according to the manual amp off is a short and amp on is open, so it looks like it's a latching switch. The PSM-5 needs a momentary switch that is normally open and shorts when you press it, and then goes open again when you take your foot off. If you set the GT10 to amp on and then quickly changed it to amp off and back again it should work, I don't know if that's possibly though.
Ok that makes sense, the gt-10 does have a momentary mode but it must not be working how the boss FET switch expects. I think I might as well learn how to make my own circuit that can do this.
[quote ]
This might be a stupid question but if you've replaced the send jack what are you using the PSM-5 for anyway?
[/quote]
I have it just as an AB pedal to select two different input signals. I found the psm-5 so cheap I figured I could at least use it as an enclosure for some other effect
successful transactions with forum members: bcalla, digi2t, and gutsofgold