Triangle Muff vs other muffs?

Started by Canucker, December 08, 2012, 01:33:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canucker

So I finally built the Triangle version of the Big Muff...it was recommended in various places online as the best Big Muff there is... my question is what makes this the preferred version? how do the later versions differ sound wise?

garcho

Here's a good comparison chart courtesy of Mad Bean

Quote...the best Big Muff there is...
No such thing. Is the Triangle with a Tele through a Mesa Boogie and 12 gauge strings plucked with a quarter gonna sound the same as a Triangle with a Les Paul into a Blues Jr and finger-picked 9 gauge strings?

handy google search, lots of discussion about BMP versions
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

garcho

QuoteThe tone of the V1 "Triangle" has been described as the best sounding of all the Big Muffs. It has also been described as one of the most articulate Muffs, with a clarity that many of the later Muffs seemed to lack. However, it should be clearly stated that there is no 'one' Triangle Big Muff tone. There is more variance from unit to unit than any other version due to the wide variety of component values used in the circuit, changing several times a year. It is very rare to find two Triangles with exactly the same values. It should be noted that the only real difference between the V1 and V2 Big Muff was the enclosure. They both spanned the same wide range of possible sounds. In the extreme ranges you may find some are very dry and fuzzy sounding, some gritty and fat, some thin and gainy, some thick but smooth, et cetera. The wide variety in sounds is one reason these Triangle Big Muffs are so collectible.
The reason many people say the Triangle is the best version of the Big Muff is probably due to a few circuit traces that circulated for several years, which most clones were based on. Those few circuit traces were just a couple out of dozens of traces that could be made of V1 Big Muffs randomly pulled off the production line on any given week.That said, there are some attributes that define a "typical" V1, and I use that term loosely. These descriptions fit the Triangles I am familiar with, about 12 examples from around 1970-1973 at the time this was written, plus the dozens of circuit photos I have examined. The mids were very scooped, as in flat or removed. Sustain varied from unit to unit, but most were high gain and clear. Many V1 Big Muffs do cut through a band mix very well and are very articulate for leads, and have a nice crunch for power chords and palm muting, whereas many later versions were muddier and bassier. Most V1s have slightly more bottom end than typical V2s based on examples I have played, giving them a monstrous sound when playing power chords or leads. The bass and treble of the tone varies quite a bit from one Triangle to another, as does the gain, fuzziness, and clarity on notes.

From this site, lots more info there.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Arcane Analog

The KitRae site is amazing.

I had the opportunity to play two vintage V1 Triangles. I did not like either of them. I much preffer my Black and Green Russian Muffs.

That said, there are so many variations between Muffs of the same vintage it is staggering. Each version is unique and tone is subjective.

Canucker

Quote from: garcho on December 08, 2012, 02:48:04 AM
Here's a good comparison chart courtesy of Mad Bean

Quote...the best Big Muff there is...
No such thing. Is the Triangle with a Tele through a Mesa Boogie and 12 gauge strings plucked with a quarter gonna sound the same as a Triangle with a Les Paul into a Blues Jr and finger-picked 9 gauge strings?

handy google search, lots of discussion about BMP versions

I'm a bit of an instigator sometimes. I realize that its all subjective....most of the time when someone writes that something is "the best" in the pedal world is cus something was discontinued, its rare or someone famous played it. Its kind of like a world of used cars salesmen in that respect. I figured someone would have some info to shed light on what I've been reading and indeed you did. Thanks for filling my brain with what it was looking for! I swear I've learned more here then in all those years of high school!

DiscoVlad

Quote from: Arcane Analog on December 08, 2012, 05:03:22 PM
The KitRae site is amazing.

I had the opportunity to play two vintage V1 Triangles. I did not like either of them. I much preffer my Black and Green Russian Muffs.

That said, there are so many variations between Muffs of the same vintage it is staggering. Each version is unique and tone is subjective.
It certainly is subjective!
Both myself and the guy at the local guitar shop prefer the sound of the Opamp Big Muff ('78 version with tone bypass) to any of the transistor versions we've tried (Black russian and big box USA reissue). He'd previously used a Guild Foxey Lady, and compared it favourably to that.

Of all the Big Muff variants, the opamp one does seem to be unfairly maligned.

garcho

QuoteOf all the Big Muff variants, the opamp one does seem to be unfairly maligned.

Given the legacy and mythology attached to pedals of this era, it's not surprising that the least mojo-sounding variant is the least popular.
But, outside of the signature tone-stack, the op amp version has less in common with the other variations, which are all fairly similar to each other. Maybe there's some reason for its discredit lurking in there.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

bwanasonic

In practical terms, there is probably as much variation between specimens of the same species BMP is there are between different species.

That Kitrae site really is a great resource for all things BMP.

DiscoVlad

Quote from: garcho on December 09, 2012, 04:57:19 PM
QuoteOf all the Big Muff variants, the opamp one does seem to be unfairly maligned.

Given the legacy and mythology attached to pedals of this era, it's not surprising that the least mojo-sounding variant is the least popular.
But, outside of the signature tone-stack, the op amp version has less in common with the other variations, which are all fairly similar to each other. Maybe there's some reason for its discredit lurking in there.

It uses a 4558... There's bound to be plenty of mojo wiggle room there.  :icon_wink: