Yet another interesting chassis

Started by Mark Hammer, December 10, 2012, 03:16:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Hammer

As if the Small Bear Bare Box and the Hammond trapezoidal boxes weren't interesting enough or expanded our horizons enough, I noted that Mammoth carries a cast aluminum box that they present as suitable for a multiple loop selector, but which would be entirely suitable for a floor multi-FX: http://www.mammothelectronics.com/4S1032L-p/500-1006.htm

If you look at their pic of a loop-selector built using this chassis, you quickly realize that it could easily accommodate 4 (or maybe even 5) effects of your choice, with true bypass.  That assumes:

• the controls are mounted on the rear skirt so you don't bang them when switching
  • you don't go crazy with options, features, or pot size
  • your board/s can fit in the available space
  • you're content with your in an out jacks being on the ends of the chassis
  • you eschew batteries and power the thing externally

But within those constraints, I could easily see a unit with, say, a compressor, overdrive, phaser, and 2399-based echo, or even a compressor, overdrive, phaser, chorus and tremolo.  I'll grant you that it could be a little cramped, but a box like that could make an excellent Q&D substitute for a full-fledged pedalboard if you just wanted something simple.  Or heck, make yourself a 5-of-my-favourite-fuzzes box!  Or 3 effects and a loop-selector for all the stuff NOT in that little chassis.

snarblinge

or if you wanted something with far too many options you could turn it sideways and have millions of knobs, and a strange long enclosure. i must think of a project to put in this thing...
b.

snarblinge.tumblr.com

Processaurus

Quote from: snarblinge on December 10, 2012, 06:57:04 PM
or if you wanted something with far too many options you could turn it sideways and have millions of knobs, and a strange long enclosure.

I love it!  Horizontal real estate is almost always more important than depth on cramped pedalboards.

pingjockey

Quote from: snarblinge on December 10, 2012, 06:57:04 PM
or if you wanted something with far too many options you could turn it sideways and have millions of knobs, and a strange long enclosure. i must think of a project to put in this thing...

Might be perfectly suited as a potentiometer nest for testing.  You could fit 20 pots onto it comfortably.

Electron Tornado

• SUPPORTER
"Corn meal, gun powder, ham hocks, and guitar strings"

Who is John Galt?

Mark Hammer