toneblaster mk 2.5

Started by pinkjimiphoton, December 11, 2012, 04:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kodiakklub

jimmi- the AC187 sounds amazing as well. super hot. have only messed with it at home on a small tube amp. hope to get it to the studio later this week to really crank it. but it's loud, and amazing with the 187

pinkjimiphoton

other than the connections to the two pots and the cap on the attack control, yes.
with the trimmers half way up, should fire up as a nice fuzz immediately.
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

here's an a/b of the original toneblaster and the final product. the new one isn't boxed, so it's running thru a loop box with a master level control.

i think the tone is there, close enough to the original for the ac176 to be cool. probably doesn't matter what ge is used in q1.

karl...let me know how ya make out this weekend with the box!!

did ya get it dialed in right? i DID use the three trimmers on mine, they are way more useful on the complete circuit than the original one with the daughterboards and stuff.

i'm not really left handed, the dang video software updated and reversed everything by default. nice. ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

hey karl,
you ever get this thing working?
i've built two of 'em now, right to the vero layout/schematic, both worked right out of the gate.

just curious!! thanks bro!
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

BetterOffShred

Fixing to build one of these..  8)

I've built a few of your circuits Jimi and I think you and I have a similar taste in toanz.. (lots of us probs)

I got a bunch of MP38s from like 70-100 hfe, and some 404Bs that go even higher.. any recommendations?  I saw that D4 and D5 you recommended as  1N60 and a 34A, and then the 1N60 for the temp diode on Q1, any other opinions?  I tend to socket clippers and use a on/off/on since I'm a fiend and like Blue LED clipping on most things  :icon_rolleyes:

Well I'll report back once it's going, been fooling with the flying spaghetti Monster lately.. any ideas on increasing the volume a hair? Maybe I'll go post in that thread.

As always thanks for sharing Jimi and thanks to everyone else who weighed in :)
-B

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: BetterOffShred on June 22, 2019, 12:59:16 PM
Fixing to build one of these..  8)

I've built a few of your circuits Jimi and I think you and I have a similar taste in toanz.. (lots of us probs)

I got a bunch of MP38s from like 70-100 hfe, and some 404Bs that go even higher.. any recommendations?  I saw that D4 and D5 you recommended as  1N60 and a 34A, and then the 1N60 for the temp diode on Q1, any other opinions?  I tend to socket clippers and use a on/off/on since I'm a fiend and like Blue LED clipping on most things  :icon_rolleyes:

well, i prefer pink led's. seriously, they have a different forward voltage to them and they sound better.... to me, anyways. i always advise adding germanium diodes in series with the led's... that way ya still get the tone of the led's, but the decay doesn't fart out and remains smooth.

that said, socket your biasing resistors, as if memory serves back when i did this and knew literally less than nothing,  that peeps who built it didn't get a very sweet sound, but rather gated and misbiased. my original was a fluke, i think. it sounded great with another fuzz, but not so great solo... so i'd advise trying it on a breadboard. i intend to revisit it eventually for deadendfx, but so many projects ahead of it it will be a while.

Well I'll report back once it's going, been fooling with the flying spaghetti Monster lately.. any ideas on increasing the volume a hair? Maybe I'll go post in that thread.

add a small resistance to ground before the output pot to reduce the volume. if it makes it too dark, bypass the resistor with a cap to ground in parallel maybe?

As always thanks for sharing Jimi and thanks to everyone else who weighed in :)
-B

honored b, hope ya get it working in a useable manner!
i don't even own one anymore, so can't comment on it, unfortunately.
someone like it enough to buy it, so.... i guess it couldn't have been THAT bad ;)

if i remember correctly, it was based on dragonfly's si tonebender fuzz, but ge instead.

so long ago ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr