Transfer/Decal over black?

Started by swinginguitar, December 20, 2012, 09:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swinginguitar

Anyone had success with toner transfer or (inkjet) waterslide decal over black?

Trying to get a gold-ish color on black paint, and it disappears.....

Kesh

Not tried it on black, but I did on darkish green. I used maximum ink setting (vivid on photo setting on mine), then spend a lot of time building up thin layers of clear coat on the paper to seal all that ink in. And let it dry for several days.

alparent

If your good with an exacto. Get some white waterslide decal paper.

swinginguitar

kesh - were you doing waterslide decal or toner transfer?

alparent - have considered that, but as I am trying to redo the gibson/les paul logo on a refinish it would likely be some intricate cutting <sigh>

might just order a decal set off eekBay

Kesh

waterslide decal using inkjet, with the paper that supposedly allows inkjet ink to stay fixed without clear coat (it doesn't)

One essential thing I found for heavy ink settings is where you cut the paper (after clear coating) has to be ink free. in other words you need a transparent border. else ink bleeds form the edge.

Oatmeal

So you're basically asking us to aid and abed in infringing on Gibson's copyright? ;) cool

I have had terrible luck with the water slide decals. You could buy a sticker or make your own but you're going to have to build up some nitro over the top of and sand it back until you can't see the edges. You just want to cut the sticker as close to the outside edges as possible to conceal that it's a sticker. Done it. Looks good.  8)
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

daryl

Possibly look at metalic inks and laser printing.

Devius

I had the same problem, tried the waterbased stuff, sucks.
I believe the trick is to get a good coat of lacquer on the decal so it won't bleed through after you apply it to the enclosure. Also, print your decal with bigger edges so you can trim it down and the lacquer won't seal the edges and tear your decal after you worked so hard to make the damn thing. (Sorry, a bit bitter about that one still)

chi_boy

The PulsarPro products would do that. 

http://www.pulsarprofx.com/

Expensive and a steep learning curve.   Hmmm, sounds like my marriage.
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." — Admiral Hyman G. Rickover - 1900-1986

The Leftover PCB Page

Oatmeal

Wow, that's over $200 to just get started. You could get close to buying an actual Gibson neck for that.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.