Soldering 63/37 solder

Started by alparent, December 21, 2012, 01:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greaser_au

Quote from: duck_arse on December 24, 2012, 08:27:42 AM
wtcpn - there must be irons these days that don't get as hot a handle, especially in australian summers. and have a better power connector.
I have the same one I bought ~1980. except for the lead. and the switch. barrel. element. tips. but it's still my favourite.
who were you wave soldering for in the 80's, greaser?

yes, the power connector is a flaw- but a small price to pay - a fine scriber is a useful tool to keep on hand. As I recall, there was an optional black slip-on handle that made it a bit larger and cooler to use if you're working with it for hours at a time. They are so simple to operate & maintain (part of my job for a while) for the girls on the line. I've used PACE (now that was deluxe gear), Australian made ROYEL,  and HAKKO on the bench also.

I won my wtcpn as a prize (at TAFE) in 1992 for my design project. and like yours it's had a new switch, barrel and element over the years. If it failed outright, I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

I worked for EMI - everything from hand PCB work,  to machine soldering  (wave, drag and vapour phase - including silkscreening solder paste), chemical lab stuff,  to stores, to QA  (when things were  quiet) and (later) as a technician, over about 9 years. About the only thing I didn't do was cleaning,  and of course, management :)

david

duck_arse

the pace desoldering machine. I used to stand next to that all day in case someone used it, because it would need a complete clean after three joints.

solder joints. I started work with ex-emi engineers and techs.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

greaser_au

We had the large PACE repair station with rotary tools,  soldering & desoldering systems, thermal strippers etc..  I had to maintain that for a while... always kept the desoldering  tips clean and watched the reservoir glass loading.  The vane pump needed a bit of TLC over time, but as long as a *small* amount of oil was used it would go for ages between cleans.

I used to repair platethough holes with PACE board eyelets, excavate & repair tracks inside multi-layer boards (not my favourite thing)!

I see mektronics are now PACE distributors

david

davent

I'm using up the last of my 60/40 solder and have a roll of Kester 245 (63/37) to use next. Going to be any issues with reworking old 60/40 joints with the new 63/37 solder?
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

R O Tiree

Nope - I have large rolls of both and use whichever I find first. Re-working isn't a problem.
...you fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way...

davent

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

greaser_au

I found a (simplified) phase diagram I wanted to show earlier in this thread:   http://www.chemguide.co.uk/physical/phaseeqia/snpb.html

The section relevant to davent's comment: 'Thinking about changes in the composition of the liquid'

david