polyphase gut shots....

Started by pinkjimiphoton, December 24, 2012, 08:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinkjimiphoton

had a slight mishap today as i was connecting an amp to the pedal, gotta arc, cooked the amp completely. the pedal is still working. but i had to replace a few things... 2 of the phase shift opamps appear to have died, the final u5 too. i took 'em all out and put in sockets. checked the voltages, all good. put new 4558's in.
also replaced a couple of the electros i found suspect.
i got signal making it thru the pedal, but i lose it right from the output of u1. something weird.
replaced the 5087 and 5088 its tied to. no diff with voltages.
but now i found by inadvertanty shorting b and c of the 5088 tied to the 3904 together, it sweeps... sounds like a two position wah. so i guess the filter is working. its passing signal. it seems to be messing with the signal some.. can hear it's "different".
i know the osc is working, as i can use an led to see it flash it.

i am at a loss as to what the hell else i can do. i have verified that the switching and offboard wiring is right.
there's really not much more that can go wrong!!

i will try replacing the 4013 and 3140 tomorrow again. will also remove the 1458 and add a socket and swap that out too i guess.

it seems to lose it right at the env sens pot. perhaps i gotta swap that out? in for a dollar...

this one really has me stumped. wtf. shoulda stuck to fuzzes ;)
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

Scruffie

If you have a sweep on pin 6 of the CA3140 then you know the LFO is working and you must have just gotten some bad readings from the transistors.

And if it's sweeping there but the vactrols aren't and especially as you say shorting the 5088/3904 pair makes it sweep then it stands to reason the problem is probably those two transistors, they're driving the LEDs so...

I can't see any reason why you need to replace any of the stuff you've mentioned, the 4013/3140 form the LFO which you say is functioning and the 1458 is the other LFO that sweeps the envelope, when in sweep mode it's out of circuit.

You wont hear signal on the inverting input of an opamp so that might explain your U1 issue depending on where you're probing.

One other thing, while you've checked it's all wired up right, have you checked the sweep/envelope switch itself is actually working?

pinkjimiphoton

i went back and looked at the crappy phone pics i had, so i could reconnect the wires as they were originally. not surprisingly, i had two reversed. so all that works. i was only gonna take out the last couple chips so i could socket them. i'll leave it.
i was trying to use my scope to trace a sine wave thru ... very very limited experience with it.. yesterday was the first time i fired one up in years. ;) i had signal on the = and- inputs, but expected to see it on pin 1, which connects to the next stage and to the feedback pot.
i DID have to sub in a 3906 for the 5087, i'll try replacing the other two transistors and see if she'll fire.
sorry man, this is waaaay above my league. ;) i appreciate the guidance and help, sorry to be so frustratingly dumb ;)

i will check the switch too.

dumber question, do you think it may be one of the pots?

can most definitely hear its on now, its like a %^&*ed wah almost.

thanks scruffie, you rock bro ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

ALRIGHTY!!!
WE HAVE ACHIEVED PHASE SHIFTING!!
i think the switch may be wired wrong after all. it works great on the phase shifter side, KILLER thick barberpoley stuff with a nice edge to it... but on the envelope side, when it powers up, it quacks once then stops sweeping.
it MAY be operator error cuz i'm looking at it upside down and backwards and can't see the knobs,
but i think the envelope sensitivity isn't doing squat.

the phaser is good enough i don't really care at this point ;)

but love to make it right.

any more ideas, pete?
what i did was change out all the q's except q1. the 5088/3904 pair was most definitely the problem.
i did sub a 3906 for the 5087. worked fine.
i don't stock many pnp's, my specialty is npn germanium ;)

before the last power up, i heeded what you said about static and replaced the 4013 and 4136 with brand-spankin new ones.
hit the power.. one quack. then %^&*ed wah. i was like.... fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudge.... then i hit the switch and got glorious phasing.

so ... ya think that side of the switch may just be backwards? maybe the wires broke and he connected them as he thought was right and i followed suit years later?

would really welcome your thoughts, and man, thank you so much for all the help so far!! its close to in the bag, i may even box it up and rock it tonite!! ;)

if any diystompboxer was ever more or less deserving, this tradition i pass to you, my brother in arms! ;)

the covetedous of coveted awards, to you, the sausage on the fork, and a foot long, to boot ;)

THANKS SCRUFFIE!!
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

its now back together and boxed, working great.
i had the envelope sensitivity knob too high, which was preventing it from working right.
once i dialed in the trimmer and turned down the envelope...

holy shit.

this is kinda like the sounds i hear in my head but never knew existed. haven't even added fuzz yet. ;)
the envelope triggered modulation thing is way cool.

one more time, hats off to scruff. if ya ever get a chance to build one of these, i highly reccomend it.
very psychedelic and cool sound. i can't wait to try it in stereo some day.

anyways... again thanks!!
peace!
pink out
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Scruffie

Congratulations man, glad you got it rolling again :)

Yup, i've got my own and it is a pretty special pedal, nice to know another is out there in the wild now.

Any time bud.

Oh and I hope that sausage on a fork is vegetarian :D

pinkjimiphoton

hahaha, you rock bro

here ya go, one vegetarian sausage on a fork ;)

• SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr