"Mesa-Boogie" sound

Started by MmmPedals, December 24, 2012, 08:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MmmPedals

I recently built a sansamp gt-2. I love the pedal but the "california" model if the one that will get the most use from me. I am looking to build myself something to get me just that tone. anything out there that could accomplish this before before I start ripping apart the gt2 shem?( I could not find the sansamp California schem anywhere. )
One other note; I really like the active EQ on the gt2

darron

Of course there's the Dr Boogie circuit. Not my favorite and needs a bit of tweaking from stock. Building just that section of the circuit sounds like what your heart really want.
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

MmmPedals

I have built more than one dr. boogie. I like it but not the same sound. I dont think its even trying to be. The DR is Dual Rectifier. The gt2 is emulating the classic boogies (think santana).

J0K3RX

Quote from: MmmPedals on December 25, 2012, 08:22:18 AM
I have built more than one dr. boogie. I like it but not the same sound. I dont think its even trying to be. The DR is Dual Rectifier. The gt2 is emulating the classic boogies (think santana).

Agree..
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

rousejeremy

Yup, the Dr. Boogie isn't Boogie like.
Someone posted a Mesa Boogie Lone Star pedal a couple years ago.
Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

dmc777

Joyo California Sound. Cheaper than building it yourself! I got one and it's pretty versatile. Makes me wanna try some of the other ones now. Shotty soldering and smd components though. Still you can't beat it for the price IMO.

MmmPedals

Ooh I like that. I might just bite at that one. Any idea what the circuit is?

J0K3RX

Quote from: MmmPedals on December 25, 2012, 08:06:46 PM
Ooh I like that. I might just bite at that one. Any idea what the circuit is?

Joyo JF-15 California Sound = Tech 21 Character Series California

Can't beat $40! If were me I would just buy it...

J0K3RX

Here is a list of known Joyo clones... There may be more, not sure?

JF-01 Vintage Overdrive = Ibanez TS-808
JF-02 Ultimate Drive = Fulltone OCD
JF-03 Crunch Distortion = Mi Audio Crunch box
JF-04 High Gain Distortion = Marshall Shredmaster
JF-05 Classic Chorus = Boss CE-2
JF-06 Vintage Phase = MXR phase 90
JF-09 Tremolo = Diaz Tremodillo
JF-10 Dynamic Compressor = MXR Dyna Comp.
JF-11 6 Band EQ - MXR 6 Band EQ
JF-12 Voodoo Octave (Fuzz Ultimate Octave) = Fulltone Ultimate Octave
JF-13 AC Tone = Tech 21 Character Series - Liverpool
JF-14 American Sound = Tech 21 Character Series - Blonde
JF-15 California Sound = Tech 21 Character Series - California
JF-16 British Sound = Tech 21 Character Series - British
JF-17 Extreme Metal = EHX Metal Muff
JF-32 Plexi Drive = Wampler Plexi-drive
JF-36 Sweet Baby = Mad Professor Sweet Honey

dmc777

Damn I'm gonna have to give some more of those a go. Anyone compared the ultimate drive vs OCD ? Sweet Honey has been on my list as well. Just to add this but the Biyang baby boom distortion, black one, is a Rat with LM308 IC and 3 clipping options. Also super cheap but ugly. Sounds great!

arawn

actually the answer is simple Try the Uno @ ROG. It nails the black magic woman sound pretty good.
"Consistency is the Hobgoblin of Small Minds!"

Gus Smalley clean boost, Whisker biscuit, Professor Tweed, Ruby w/bassman Mods, Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer, Zvex SHO, ROG Mayqueen, Fetzer Valve, ROG UNO, LPB1, Blue Magic

garcho

Hey, this ain't Harmony Central, build it yourself! ;)
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Ronan

I bought the Joyo JF-15 California Sound a while back but don't like it, maybe its just my ears. The GT-2 I love, with the switch on the Cali setting (more bottom end, less gain), the Behringer TM-300 pretty well nails the gt2 sound. There's a layout for a basic stripped down gt2 (for Cali or Marshall sound) here:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=100131.msg879920#msg879920

dmc777

Quote from: garcho on December 26, 2012, 02:01:55 AM
Hey, this ain't Harmony Central, build it yourself! ;)

Haha I actually was about to sorry for sorta hijacking the thread but I did give in an affordable solution.  :icon_mrgreen:

This thread is actually getting interesting because I've been curious how these imported budget clones sound against the originals. I finally disassembled the my two, the biyang baby boom, which was suprised to see a socketed LM308 and quality components! I don't believe it to be a complete clone but it's similar with a more "open" sounding distortion. More clarity and note defintion while the Rat is more raunchy.

The Joyo isn't assembled as well and uses smd components so I can't say much about the components used. I can say it's all surface mounted and poor soldering but is a versatile "boogie" style tone with a very useful 3 knob eq AND a "voice" pot which makes it even more versatile. I'm not quite sure how it works but is almost like a texture knob that affects both the gain and eq. Interesting knob. Maybe it blends from one clipping component to another or something. If anyone knows how the VOICE knob actually works and does please feel free to share. The pedal has plenty of low end as well. Atleast on my Fender HRD and Strat with vintage style single coils. Same goes for the other two EQ knobs. The all wok well.

deadastronaut

Quote from: J0K3RX on December 25, 2012, 09:09:17 PM

just to add to this list:

US dream - suhr riot.  ( its pretty damn close , my mate has one.. ;))
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Scruffie

Quote from: deadastronaut on December 26, 2012, 11:02:31 AM
Quote from: J0K3RX on December 25, 2012, 09:09:17 PM

just to add to this list:

US dream - suhr riot.  ( its pretty damn close , my mate has one.. ;))
Seem to recall the Classic chorus is not actually a straight BOSS CE-2 clone. Might have been more related to one of the Ibanez choruses.

rousejeremy

Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

Scruffie

MmmPedals

I had 3 possibilities when I started this thread. 1) A partial gt2 2) A different circuit to accomplish the same thing 3) something commercial (maybe to rehouse)
All 3 were hit on in this thread.
1)
Quote from: Ronan on December 26, 2012, 08:52:35 AM
I bought the Joyo JF-15 California Sound a while back but don't like it, maybe its just my ears. The GT-2 I love, with the switch on the Cali setting (more bottom end, less gain), the Behringer TM-300 pretty well nails the gt2 sound. There's a layout for a basic stripped down gt2 (for Cali or Marshall sound) here:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=100131.msg879920#msg879920
Definitely going to build this. Thanks for the link
2) ROG Uno. Forgot about this one. I saw this a while back but nixed it because of the horrible sound clip. Might have to give this a try too.
3)Joyo california sound. I like building my own stuff but $40 is SO tempting. Plus I could use a pedal tuner while im at it.

Ronan

Quote from: dmc777 on December 26, 2012, 09:41:50 AM
The Joyo isn't assembled as well and uses smd components so I can't say much about the components used. I can say it's all surface mounted and poor soldering but is a versatile "boogie" style tone with a very useful 3 knob eq AND a "voice" pot which makes it even more versatile. I'm not quite sure how it works but is almost like a texture knob that affects both the gain and eq. Interesting knob. Maybe it blends from one clipping component to another or something. If anyone knows how the VOICE knob actually works and does please feel free to share. The pedal has plenty of low end as well. Atleast on my Fender HRD and Strat with vintage style single coils. Same goes for the other two EQ knobs. The all wok well.

The Character series Tech21 pedals got ripped to pieces on the other forum. You'll find all the gory details there :D Your guess is pretty well spot on about the voice knob (from memory). I might have to pull my Joyo Cali copy out of the cupboard again and give it another run, maybe I didn't give it much of a chance the first time.