Taptation - Ticking Tempo/Scale LEDs in Audio Signal

Started by jasonsguild, December 28, 2012, 10:35:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jasonsguild

Hi, I recently built up a d'lay with TT. Everything was good during out of the box testing (minus the inherent noise from the pt2399 at long delays). However, when I boxed everything up I noticed that I was getting a ticking sound in time with the tempo/scale LEDs, even with the level knob fully dry and even with the effect is bypassed. Poking around with a chop stick, I found the the lead from the input jack to the 3pdt appears like it might be microphonic and picking up the LED noise.

I tried rearranging the wires to get rid of the noise, and I've tried decoupling the taptation boards power, but the only way to get it to stop is to pull the LEDs out of the enclosure. I've never had this happen with a build before.  ???

Any suggestions for debugging this issue? Thanks
Jason D

rollo greb

I had this problem with mine and found that running a buffered pedal in front got rid of all the ticking. May be something to consider, or try using shielded wire for the input jack connection.

jasonsguild

Thanks for the tip.  That got rid of it, but seems like an odd solution.  I'm starting to wonder if I got a bad 3DPT switch.  The input lead is still microphonic even with no power going to the effect in bypass.
Jason D