Surplus store in Dayton, OH area

Started by Electron Tornado, December 30, 2012, 05:51:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Electron Tornado

I was passing by Dayton, Ohio yesterday on the way home from visiting the folks and decided to stop to check out one of the electronics surplus stores there. I didn't get to Mendelson's, but did get to Midwest Surplus Electronics in Fairborn. Nice selection of components and an interesting selection of knobs, along with some strange odds and ends. The fellow working there was both friendly and helpful. http://www.midwestsurplus.net/

• SUPPORTER
"Corn meal, gun powder, ham hocks, and guitar strings"

Who is John Galt?

J0K3RX

I am guessing that the internet store doesn't even scratch the surface? Nice selection of high voltage caps and the bread boards are kinda cool...
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

n8b

About 10 years ago I lived a block away from Midwest Surplus. It was ok at the time, had a few interesting things. Mendelson's is really where it's at. I was just there over the summer and they still have a ton of cool stuff. Trouble is, they don't know always have it labeled or organized well. I spend a good 3 or 4 hours walking the aisles multiple times. Another cool place to search out is Fair Radio in Lima. I picked up a lot of cool knobs and some submini tubes for a decent price over the summer.

Electron Tornado

Quote from: J0K3RX on December 30, 2012, 09:16:12 PM
I am guessing that the internet store doesn't even scratch the surface? Nice selection of high voltage caps and the bread boards are kinda cool...

If you need caps, resistors, diodes, transistors, ICs, or LEDs, they are well stocked. After being there, I wouldn't rely on the web site to show exactly what's on hand on any particular day, but there also seemed to be stuff there that wasn't listed on the web site.

Quote from: n8b on December 30, 2012, 09:49:56 PM
About 10 years ago I lived a block away from Midwest Surplus. It was ok at the time, had a few interesting things. Mendelson's is really where it's at. I was just there over the summer and they still have a ton of cool stuff. Trouble is, they don't know always have it labeled or organized well. I spend a good 3 or 4 hours walking the aisles multiple times. Another cool place to search out is Fair Radio in Lima. I picked up a lot of cool knobs and some submini tubes for a decent price over the summer.

I was trying to not lose too much time getting home, so I had to pass on Mendelson's, unfortunately. Fair Radio looks like they may be able help me with a transformer I need.
  • SUPPORTER
"Corn meal, gun powder, ham hocks, and guitar strings"

Who is John Galt?

defaced

You know, I grew up 15 minutes north of there, and until I read your thread, I *knew* Mendelson's was the only place in town for surplus electronics.  Thanks for posting!  The next time I'm home, I'll check it out. 

As for Mendelson's, everything n8b said is true.  Allot a good deal of time to browse and bring a smart phone with an internet connection - you'll want to look at least one thing up. 

P.S. The 3rd floor isn't heated, and is a bare concrete floor.  It's *cold* in the winter. 
-Mike