Splitter/balanced question

Started by Eddododo, December 31, 2012, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddododo

Hi guys... I have been lurking here for awhile

I am working on a dual effects loop series/parallel w/ dry blend utility pedal

I have found a few of my circuits to be a little under-informed and to be performing underwhelmingly, so I am exploring a few options and approaches, including borrowing from existing products.

I took apart (though it didn't take much to do so) an OLD Rapco isolated signal splitter (SS 100 I)

The input goes directly to one output jack , and through a transformer to the other output..

It seems to me like the transformer does not have anything to do with splitting the signal, so much as preventing noise from one device to the other, making it barely a step beyond splitting by just wiring to two jacks, right??

Would it be possible/beneficial to use the hot/cold lines together at the input as an unbalanced instrument signal, and use the output +/- lines as output 1 and output 2 ?

The questions sound silly now, Im sorry if this seems aimless but I am kind of learning as I type this, and I'd just rather ask a stupid question and get an informed answer.

while I am at it... any suggestions for how to take my knowledge to a higher and more legitimate level? i.e. a good book...

Thanks for your time!

brett

Hi
I'm no expert, but..
I expect that the signal is being 'split' into 3 wires: a 'hot' signal, an earth (centre-tap from the tranformer secondary) and a 'cold' which will be the inverse of the 'hot' signal.
You can google the advantages of a balanced setup.
But the main useful feature is that the signal into the transformer is output in an original and inverted form. If the two outputs receive a noise 'spike', these will be in-phase (unlike the signal) and can easily be cancelled out. For example, if they are input to a differential amplifier (one that amplifies only the differences between 'hot' and 'cold').
cheers 
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)