Using the PedalSync MV-64 Analog BBD Delay Clock chip with your 3205/8 designs

Started by MoltenVoltage, January 11, 2013, 01:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

space_ryerson

Quote from: MoltenVoltage on March 01, 2013, 10:55:37 PM
Quote from: space_ryerson on March 01, 2013, 07:19:53 PM
Very promising! Do you think there is way to use something like a 4PDT switch on my MN3205/MN3102 delay to toggle between using the Delaytion and unmodded mode?

Also, is there any stepping when turning the delay time knob?

I think a 3PDT switch would work since you would need to reconnect pins 1, 2, and 3 of the 4047.  Soldering wires to the Carbon Copy's SMT pins would be more than a little challenging!

There isn't any audible stepping that I can hear, although the delay time pot uses 256 increments and the length of delay time (and therefore time between increments) depends on the chip select and delay ratio selected.
Thanks! Sounds good. I'm going to look at my old tokai delay to see if the 3102 is socketed, which would make such a switch easier to implant. If not, there may still be a way :)

Levispeights

Quote from: MoltenVoltage on February 14, 2013, 12:50:32 AM
Smallbear now has the PedalSync MV-64 BBD Delay Clock chips and modules in stock:
http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Categories?category=Molten+Voltage%2FPedalSync

The analog delay hack tutorial is coming soon, I just need to finish up the PCB layout.  You will be amazed by its simplicity!

Hey William,
I was just putting together an order from smallbear in order to build the Delaytion and they only have the MV-59 and not the MV-59B.... Help!!
Levi

Levispeights

Quote from: Levispeights on March 08, 2013, 01:01:38 PM
Quote from: MoltenVoltage on February 14, 2013, 12:50:32 AM
Smallbear now has the PedalSync MV-64 BBD Delay Clock chips and modules in stock:
http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Categories?category=Molten+Voltage%2FPedalSync

The analog delay hack tutorial is coming soon, I just need to finish up the PCB layout.  You will be amazed by its simplicity!

Hey William,
I was just putting together an order from smallbear in order to build the Delaytion and they only have the MV-59 and not the MV-59B.... Help!!
Levi

OK wait, I just looked at the datasheet and I believe the MV-59 will work, I'll just have to cycle through the presets every time I plug my pedal board in. Right?

MoltenVoltage

Hi Levi,

Yes, MV-59 will work too.  The only difference is that MV-59 sends the program change message for program 1 on startup, whereas MV-59B does not, it waits until you have pressed the button before sending program 1.

The MV-64 BBD Clock Chip reads the pots on startup, so with MV-59B when you turn it on, Delaytion will read the pots and use that setting, whereas with MV-59 it will recall your first program.

- William
MoltenVoltage.com for PedalSync audio control chips - make programmable and MIDI-controlled analog pedals!

MoltenVoltage

MoltenVoltage.com for PedalSync audio control chips - make programmable and MIDI-controlled analog pedals!

MoltenVoltage

Some of the parts might be hard to find, so I've put together a kit with the internal parts for Delaytion plus an extra RCA jack for the modified delay:

http://www.kaom.com/PedalSync_Delaytion_Analog_Delay_Controller_Parts_p/kit_004.htm

MoltenVoltage

Malekko Ekko 616 Hacked!

This one is definitely not for beginners! You need to remove 2 SMT parts that are packed tight, and the enclosure is difficult to get apart. That said, it's much brighter and cleaner than the Carbon Copy.

changoman

Hi William.

I´m beginning to build a mix version between delaytion and smoke ring delay using my carbon copy. I don´t need all the programable "power" but 4 presets to recall and midi clock is enough for me. I´m going to use MV64 and MV59B modules. Please, let me a few questions:

-I need to connect WR (pin14 mv64 module) to micro-toggle switch (as I can see in the tutorial).... and midi in/out from both modules to the 5 pin DIN jacks... is that correct?

-What´s the connection scheme for chip count select function? Sorry, I can´t find any information about it. In the video, I can see it´s a toggle switch (4 positions?)

-For "Delay ratio select", Do I need to add 2x 1N4148 diodes... Is ,the 4 position switch, a 1P4T?

Thank you very much again.

Pablo

MoltenVoltage

Hi Pablo,

Sorry for the Delay.   ;)

1) WR is the write switch for MV-64, so yes, that is the one you will use to write programs 1-4.  The other lug of the Write switch will go to ground so when you toggle it closed, then open, the program is written to the current location.

Since you are using MV-59B, you don't need to use a MIDI jack, you can connect MV-59B (pin 2) directly to MV-64 (pin 21) via a 220 ohm series resistor - see the Delaytion schematic:

http://www.pedalsync.com/photos/delaytion/Delaytion_schematic_-_v1.jpg

If you use 5 volts for MV-59B, use a 330 ohm resistor instead.

2) The chip select table is at page 3 of the MV-64 datasheet.  Which pins you will ground depends on what delay you are controlling.  Which delay are you using?

Chip select is a permanent connection, you will connect neither, one, or both of the CS pins (23 and 24 of MV-64) to ground to make the selection.  No switch is needed.

3) If you want to use all 4 delay ratios, then you will need to use the signal diodes (4148) as shown in the MV-64 schematic at page 11 of the datasheet.  I used a 4 position rotary switch for the Smoke Ring delay, but you could use 2 toggle switches (one for each pin) if you prefer.  Either way you need the diodes for all 4 ratios.

Here again is a link to the MV-64 datasheet:
http://www.pedalsync.com/documentation/PedalSync_MV-64_BBD_Delay_Controller_Datasheet.pdf

Let me know if you have other questions.

Thanks again,

- William

changoman

Hi William.

I think it´s clear. I was confused because, in the video, I can see you pushing the 1/4 BDD toggle and the led goes green. I supposed it was an option (using BYOC delay).

I use a carbon copy... I will proceed as you say in the delaytion tutorial:

"...Ground the correct pins for chip select (CS1 and CS2 in the Layout Diagram). For the Carbon Copy, ground CS2. For the BYOC Analog Delay, ground both"

Thank you very much again, really.

Best regards.

Pablo

MoltenVoltage

In the Smoke Rings video, the 1/4 BBD switch actually controls a relay to choose between 1 and 4 BBDs which is already on option on the BYOC delay.  I just automated it with a relay, then used the Four Pots chip to store the status.

changoman

Sorry William, I haven´t checked the Byoc delay features  ;)

I´m thinking about adding a CV to the features. I suppose the best way is using a vactrol (led-LDR) and TAP tempo pin...
I can see a "mod switch insert" jack in the prototype... I suppose it´s for bypass the mod features. What´s the best place to add the bypass switch?

I promise you this is the last question... next post will be your child in action :D

Thanks.

Pablo

mth5044

Very cool, nice work. Would be interesting to fuse it with Madbean's DMM clone. Can the MV-64 cop the LFO type that the DMM has?

MoltenVoltage

Quote from: changoman on April 01, 2013, 12:39:56 PM
Sorry William, I haven´t checked the Byoc delay features  ;)

I´m thinking about adding a CV to the features. I suppose the best way is using a vactrol (led-LDR) and TAP tempo pin...
I can see a "mod switch insert" jack in the prototype... I suppose it´s for bypass the mod features. What´s the best place to add the bypass switch?

I promise you this is the last question... next post will be your child in action :D

Thanks.

Pablo

Hi Pablo,

On the Smoke Ring delay, the inserts on the back are just 1/4" jacks so you can use a remote momentary footswitch instead of pressing the panel buttons.  There is no control voltage involved, instead the pins are grounded when the switch is pressed.  No need for a vactrol.  You can just run the 1/4" jack in parallel with the existing button, then either will work.

If you want to control the tap tempo with another control signal, you will need to limit it to 3.3 volts.  One easy way is to use your control voltage to drive a 4066 analog switch.
http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/CD/CD4066BC.pdf

Feel free to ask more questions!

Quote from: mth5044 on April 01, 2013, 01:36:05 PM
Very cool, nice work. Would be interesting to fuse it with Madbean's DMM clone. Can the MV-64 cop the LFO type that the DMM has?

Glad you like it!  The MV-64 LFO is a sine wave.

Brian at madbean has been experimenting with the chip, but I haven't heard from him lately.

Since the Dirt Bag Deluxe uses a 4047 for the clock chip, the same hack as the Carbon Copy should work.  You'll just need to match the buffer voltage to whatever the dirtbag needs at pin 3 of the 4047.

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/Dirtbag/DirtBagDeluxe.pdf

- William

mth5044

bevibes

Hello,

Mv-64 seems very promising!

Is There any hack around deluxe memory man with mn3005 chip to only control tap tempo?
Thanks

changoman

Quote from: bevibes on April 17, 2013, 05:40:28 PM
Hello,

Mv-64 seems very promising!

Is There any hack around deluxe memory man with mn3005 chip to only control tap tempo?
Thanks

Yeahhhh. This is the second stage for me. My memory man is waiting for..... ;D

MoltenVoltage

Not yet, but I'd be happy to help you find one.

Do you have a schematic for your version?

changoman

Hi William.

Midi clock/tap tempo delay, all mod possibilities, 4 delay ratios, 4 presets to store... I hope.

The beast is in the oven. I hope, next weekend I´ll be enjoying it  ;D ;D ;D

Thank you again, William.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us