Using the PedalSync MV-64 Analog BBD Delay Clock chip with your 3205/8 designs

Started by MoltenVoltage, January 11, 2013, 01:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben N

Should match up great with a Daphon EA-20 I have sitting around waiting for a chip upgrade. Thanks.
  • SUPPORTER

mth5044

Quote from: changoman on May 19, 2013, 04:56:31 PM
Hi William.

Midi clock/tap tempo delay, all mod possibilities, 4 delay ratios, 4 presets to store... I hope.

The beast is in the oven. I hope, next weekend I´ll be enjoying it  ;D ;D ;D

Thank you again, William.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

WHAT! Holy shit, what is that? A DMM? You're my hero.

MoltenVoltage

That's awesome Pablo!!

It's a re-housed Carbon Copy, Matthew.

Here's a link to the Carbon Copy mod tutorial (it got moved when we re-did our website, http://www.moltenvoltage.com/):

http://www.moltenvoltage.com/pedalsync/MXR_Carbon_Copy_Hack_for_Delaytion_PedalSync_MV-64_Analog_Delay_Control_Station_DIY_Project_by_Molten_Voltage.html

Pablo went the extra mile and used the MV-64 module which has some features we left off Delaytion.

Delaytion tutorial:
http://www.moltenvoltage.com/pedalsync/Delaytion_PedalSync_MV-64_Analog_Delay_Control_Station_Project_Hack_DIY_by_Molten_Voltage.html

Pablo, with MIDI In, you will have 4 local presets with MV-59, but can store 128 presets using MIDI Program Change messages (MV-59 will recall program 1-4).

Keep us posted!

- William
MoltenVoltage.com for PedalSync audio control chips - make programmable and MIDI-controlled analog pedals!

changoman

Hi William. Sorry, I have a doubt.

I´m using Carbon Copy and I need to ground Chip count Select 2.  For this (using the mv64 module), What ground do I need to use?,  Common ground, analog ground? I suppose common ground is correct but I´m not sure.

Thank you in advance

MoltenVoltage

MoltenVoltage.com for PedalSync audio control chips - make programmable and MIDI-controlled analog pedals!

changoman

Quote from: MoltenVoltage on June 02, 2013, 01:04:32 PM
Use the common (power) ground.

Thanks William. Let me another question ;D.

In order to connect the  mv59 module with the mv64 module for program storage.... I must connect the o5 pin (mv 59 module) with the T1 label (mv64 module pin 24) and I don´t need 220/330 resistor... is that correct?
I´m trying to find the correspondance between mv59 chip pin2 and mv64 chip pin21, using both modules.

Sorry, hope this will be the last question.

Pablo

MoltenVoltage

Hi Pablo,

Connect the o5 pin of the MV-59 module to the I5 pin of the MV-64 module.  There is already a 330 ohm series resistor on the MV-59 module.

- William

changoman

Quote from: MoltenVoltage on June 03, 2013, 01:26:24 AM
Hi Pablo,

Connect the o5 pin of the MV-59 module to the I5 pin of the MV-64 module.  There is already a 330 ohm series resistor on the MV-59 module.

- William

Great. I expect to finish this week... Will it work? ;D

Thank you again.

Pablo

changoman

Hi William.

It works and it´s AMAZING!!!!, MAGIC!!! All the settings  stored in each pedalsync master control program... and the amazing carbon copy analog sound... and the infinite modulation possibilities... and the tap tempo for standalone use... in a memory man type enclosure.

Really, it´s fantastic. Thank you very much.  If it´s ok for you, I will try to post a little demo.

Cheers.

Pablo

Marcvv

I have just finished, (With help from William/Moltenvoltage (thanks for that!)),a Delaytion to work with an Aquaboy deluxe with mn3101 and either 2 or 3 mn3005's. It works very well for both and is in fact very easy to do.

So using the mv-64 wih a mn3005 delay is possible.

pk1802

Quote from: Marcvv on August 03, 2013, 09:58:27 AM
I have just finished, (With help from William/Moltenvoltage (thanks for that!)),a Delaytion to work with an Aquaboy deluxe with mn3101 and either 2 or 3 mn3005's. It works very well for both and is in fact very easy to do.

So using the mv-64 wih a mn3005 delay is possible.

Any additional info on implementing this?

Marcvv

I posted on how I did set up the delaytion on the Madbean forum some time ago. So here is what I posted.

"I have been correponding with William (Moltenvoltage) who has kindly helped me out setting this up.
So here it is:
At this moment I have the Aquaboy deluxe (MN3101 and 2 MN3005's) and the delaytion boxed up and running for a couple of days.  It is working fine now. I had some problems with voltage regulator of the delaytion getting too hot. You really need a To-220 version of the regulator as the delaytion draws 90-100ma. It still gets hot but that is also because I run the whole combination on 9 volt. The ABDX runs from that on 15 volt with a roadrage. The Delaytion needs to run on 9 volt as the buffer sending the clock to the ABDX needs 9 volt (this is a part of the delaytion). It would be better to run the digital part of the delaytion on 6 volt as that would make the 3.3 volt VR of the digital part not get so hot. I might change that later on, but there is no pads for that on the delaytion pcb so I will have to see how I can do that elegantly. There is room so eventually I will change this.
The clock out from the delaytion goes to pin 7 of the MN3101 and pin 5 and pin 6 should be not connected. I did this by using an extra socket for the mn3101 and cut of pin 5 and pin 6. I then desoldered the resistor going to pin 7 on the ABDX board and solderded the clock out on the pad that was now free of that resistor so it connects straight to pin 7.
The clock of the delaytion controls the mn3101 now and that means that the whole modulation part of the ABDX is not working.
I have experimented quite a bit and decided that that is the best working option for me. The modulation on the delaytion sounds great and is programmed in the delaytion presets.
I etched my pcb from the delaytion documentation. I think it would be worth getting the fabbed board. There is quite a lot of jumper wires and of board wiring with the one-sided etch. The fabbed pcb is much cleaner.
The clock is now slower then I had the clock running on the original ABDX build. Delay time is even longer but there is also some clock whine coming in then.
I had the ABDX also running on 3 MN3005's before I started with the Delaytion. That worked fine although much darker.
It works with the Delaytion also. You have to set the chip select different then.
For now I have decided that the two MN3005's works fine.
If I will switch to three MN3005's then I would also put in a switch to switch to two MN3005's. In that case the switch will also have to switch the chip.
Hope this helps."

I used a board that I etched from the layout that is part of he Delaytion docs. It is a nice board but, as it is single sided, has quite a lot of jumpers. Next time I would order the fabbed board. There is already enough of board wiring without those jumpers..  ;)

Levispeights

Quote from: MoltenVoltage on March 14, 2013, 03:47:52 AM
Some of the parts might be hard to find, so I've put together a kit with the internal parts for Delaytion plus an extra RCA jack for the modified delay:

http://www.kaom.com/PedalSync_Delaytion_Analog_Delay_Controller_Parts_p/kit_004.htm

Hey William,
Are you guys still selling the Delaytion kit? The site has been moved, where can I find it at? Thanks!!

jrallman

Hey there.  I am working on using the MV-64 as just a tap tempo for the MXR Carbon Copy.  I have modded the Carbon Copy as per the instructions on the Molten Voltage website.  For the MV_64 chip, I have breaboarded the following layout, based on the schematics provided on the Molten Voltage website.
I am having two problems at the moment and was wondering if anyone could assist.  First, the rate LED blinks and I can change the rate of the blink using the tap tempo switch, but can can't make it slow down as much as I should be able to.  Seems the lowest is somewhere around 140bpm or so.  Second, it doesnt work.  What I mean by that is, I hook it into the modded Carbon Copy and there is no effect.  The Carbon Copy sounds the same whether the effect is on or bypassed.  No delay at all, and yes, I have made sure the controls were moved to all different positions as well.  Thank you all for any assistance.

delaystomper

Hi first of all thanks for all the great info you guys provided
I have a question , I have two malekko ekko 616 mk ii  pedals and I would like to mod one using the the delaytion thatI'm currently working on
And the other I would like to just add a simple external tap tempo . About
Setting up the malekko ekko with just the simple external tap tempo
What needs to be done . What parts do you guys think I need and where do I plug
Them . Would you shine some light on my project thanks

thomasha

Hi,

I finished my delaytion (mv-64 and mv-59) and observed a strange behaviour.

All functions work properly, but when the preset is at the first position (LED off) the lowest clock frequency is 35 kHz (Delay pot at minimum). When I increase the speed of the clock it goes up to 200 kHz (at 0.16v at pin 2) and jumps back to 70 kHz at 0V, pin 2).

If I change the delay ratio switch from the 1:1 position to a different one, i.e., ground either pin 6 or 9, and switch it back the clock drops to around 12 kHz, which is what I see at the lowest setting for the other presets.

I am not sure why this happens, but it always happens when I'm at the first preset.

I would also be interested in the voltages at the pins of the MV-64, since the CPU pin (pin 20) is only at 2.58 V.
The other pins are either at 3.33 V when connected to the 3.33 rail. Pin 6, 9 and 11 are either at 2.94 V or at 2.57 V, but it slowly changes. It looks strange, since there is no cap connected to those pins, that would create the slow build up in voltage and the drop to 2.57V. It seems, that it does not affect the operation (except at preset 1 anyway).

Anyone experienced something similar?

thomasha

So, trying to fix this I though about adding a way of shortly grounding pin 6 when the presets are changed.

My first instinct was to tie pin 6 to the presets pin, but that fails when pin 6 is grounded by the switch.
1- With the presets pin always grounded it will either not change the preset when the footswitch is activated or change it continuously. I haven't tried it, but already identified some problems.

My second guess is to use a diode to overcome the problem above. Pin 6 would only be low when the presets pin is low. With pin 6 low the diode would not conduct. But then, there is the 0.6V difference. I have to test this one.

A more appropriate solution would probably be using a transistor to switch pin 6 to ground when the presets are changed. Now I am not sure, if the longest delay of the tap function is also affected. It seems I cannot tap slower than a certain value that produces a clock signal of 20 kHz (btw, I am using 2 MN3005 with the 4047 chip, so pin 23 is high and pin 24 is low, the lowest clock frequency of the delaytion is about 12 kHz).

Any suggestions on this one?