First Laser Printer Transfer - Canon LBP 6000

Started by Mustachio, January 17, 2013, 12:39:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustachio

Here's my first try at using toner to make an etch resist for a board. I figured I would start off small and simple so I printed off a 3pdt daughter board. I used some free 4x6 photopaper that came with my inkjet refills.

Overall it was very easy everything went without a hitch and I sorta went off the cuff . I've read a lot about it int he past but never tried it. today I just went from memory and gave it a go!

I'd say the hardest part was rubbing off the paper after the ironing. And that really wasn't that hard to do.

The printer was cheap! 50 bucks free shipping no tax! It has a setting for 8x dark toner as well and seemed to work great! It's a Canon LBP 6000 .

Here's some pics!

Now I can't wait to make a bigger board and try some enclosure etching!

Anyone have any tips or whats your method for getting off the paper after the ironing?

I let mine soak in some cold water for about 3-5 minutes (I really didn't wait long) Will longer soak make the excess paper roll off easier. I just rubbed it light used the back of my thumb nail under water for about 5 minutes to get it good enough to etch. used an exacto knife to get the paper out of the holes.
"Hhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg"

Jdansti

Nice job!  I scuff the paper up first with sandpaper before I soak it. It still takes a lot of "thumb rubbing" to get it all off, including the plastic-like coating that's right against the copper. Sometimes a use a tooth brush being careful not to remove the toner.

One tip to save etchant is to use a small ziplock bag and a hot water bath to do the etching. I place the board in the ziplock and add a few tablespoons of FeCl3. While wearing gloves, I immerse the sealed baggie in a container of hot water from the tap. Don't use boiling water!  The hot water helps the etching to go faster. After a few minutes, I rub the baggie against the copper side of the board until the copper dissolves. Keep your gloves on because the  baggie will leak a little.  This method uses a whole lot less etchant than using a rigid container.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Mustachio

Nice thanks John! Ill try a little sand paper to scuff it up next time. What grit do you use ? I used 1500 to clean the pcb before I transferred.

Yeah I always heat the FeC , But I dont use the baggie method. I use a really small tupperware . And half way through ill put that tupperware in a larger one full of hot water. Double boiler style. It looks like I used a lot of etchant but really Its a tinny amount and I've been saving it in a larger plastic container when I'm done for a rainy day.

I will give the baggie method a try soon though! (out of baggies just used my last one for some prosciutto today) thanks john!

Jdansti

I just use 100 or 200 for scuffing the paper. You could even use 60 or 80. You just want to break up the surface of the paper to allow water to soak into it more easily. At the same time, you don't want to scrub it too aggressively or you'll mess up the toner.

BTW- prosciutto is definitely more baggie-worthy than a PCB.  ;)
  • SUPPORTER

deadastronaut

cool first go man...yay!!!...

when i use cheap superstore (tesco) 150 gsm photo glossy (which isn't that glossy really) i let it cool after ironing and just pull it off...nice n clean.

no soaking, rubbing etc...

i like the look of that black board btw..nice....

@jon: cool idea on the zippy bag, i do the same as jim, little tupperware box in a box..especially as its cold.  (etches come out better in summer.. ;))
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Jdansti

Hmm... I've tried the old "just peel it off" trick, but maybe I didn't let it cool enough. Impatience...

I wonder if putting it in the freezer would help with the peeling method.
  • SUPPORTER

Mustachio

Nice I'll experiment with the no water and the freezer and a tooth brush. Gonna try the rough sand paper too before I soak to scuff it a lil and help the water soak in.

I was watching some videos looks like a few people use hot/warm water to soak and also to use windex afterward to get off any of the excess paper on the tracks. Gonna give that a try too.

I picked up 9 sheets of 4x6 black pcb or 9 bucks! its pretty good stuff too!

OT the prosciutto was made in a roll with mozzarella , usually slice it into little pinwheels eat it with toast and some sun dried tomatoes! YUM! But strangely this time I got a small bone in the prosciutto nearly broke a tooth! Haha

Now how different is it applying the toner to an enclosure ?

Jdansti

I'll allow Rob to weigh in on the toner to enclosure method. I haven't tried it yet.
  • SUPPORTER

haveyouseenhim

Taylor guitars has a magazine called 'Wood and Steel'   I have had really good results with the paper they use
  • SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

chromesphere

Hey Jim! Nice results!  Just wanted to ask, where did you get that black (or any colored) pcb from?  Looks cool as!
Cheers!
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop                Youtube

Mustachio

Nice Mike, I seen you mentioned that before ill have to pick up one of those magazines.

Thanks chrome, I got em on ebay, heres the link

http://stores.ebay.com/PCB-Laminates-Copper-Clad?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

They listed a new pack with blue red and black I think i'll order that now just to have extra on hand and have a selection when I go to etch! :D

Really Happy I'm moving from positive photo etching to toner I think ill have more choice over what to use and no more buying developer , one less chemical to use!

chromesphere

Thanks for the link Jim!  Hey are they FR2 or FR4?  I usually go for FR4 cause i've found tayda FR2 not too durable with the heat transfer meathod.  

Toner transfer is great! The chemicals are mild, the process is pretty is easy, well you know, even i can do it :).  The only problem is you can't full face etch, but you've already got those chemicals so you'll be fine there anyway.

Oh yeah the only OTHER problem is when people find womens magazines in your draws at work.  I just tell them i like to read them for the gossip, i dont like to admit that im into electronics.

EDIT: heres an idea Paul, why dont you read the listing description :)  Yep their FR4.  Sweet!  Might have to try some!

Paul
Pedal Parts Shop                Youtube

Mustachio

"Wood&Steel is direct-mailed (free of charge) only to Taylor owners in the U.S. and Canada (if you are a Taylor owner in either country and are not receiving Wood&Steel, see our Owner Registration page)."

I don't own a Taylor. Looks like guitar shops can get em too. I own neither.

I'll just play around with the photopaper and some diff magazines for now :) thanks anyway.

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: Mustachio on January 18, 2013, 12:39:09 AM
"Wood&Steel is direct-mailed (free of charge) only to Taylor owners in the U.S. and Canada (if you are a Taylor owner in either country and are not receiving Wood&Steel, see our Owner Registration page)."

I don't own a Taylor. Looks like guitar shops can get em too. I own neither.

I'll just play around with the photopaper and some diff magazines for now :) thanks anyway.

Ill send you one to test with if you'd like. Or you could get one at a music shop. I have a never ending supply at the shop    hahaha
  • SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

Jdansti

Thanks for the info on Taylor, Jim. I've got a module model 410 that was made in 1991. I just registered.
  • SUPPORTER

deadastronaut

Quote from: Mustachio on January 17, 2013, 07:51:29 PM

Now how different is it applying the toner to an enclosure ?

next time i etch , (which will be soon if my latest project works ok,and if i can squeeze it in a 1590b...which i doubt ::))

i'll do a full tutorial on how '' I '' do it.....others may vary their approach, but i do what works for me.  ;)

now to order that black pcb...i love that. 8) 8) 8)

edit: buggers wont ship to uk.. :(

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Jdansti

Quote from: deadastronaut on January 18, 2013, 03:35:11 AM
now to order that black pcb...i love that. 8) 8) 8)

edit: buggers wont ship to uk.. :(

You need to move to the US. All new citizens in the month of January receive a free toaster and "assault" rifle.  ;D
  • SUPPORTER

deadastronaut

^ ha ha, i could do with that, and i bet its true too......my cat keeps bugging me..meow meow..BANG!!!!.. ;D

Lizard King

I use glossy catalog/magazine paper.  It transfers just as good or better than photo paper and soaks right off with very little rubbing required.

The 2012 Taylor Guitar price guide was nice but I just got a 5 pound Grizzley catalog in the mail.  That should keep me in paper for life.

Mustachio

Thanks for the offer Mike, I might take you up on it later.

Rob maybe I can send some black pcb out to you. Shipping in a padded envelope should be cheap to you. I'll PM you.

Gonna try some magazine paper soon too, I'm sure I have tons of old magazines here some where.

Thanks guys keep the tips comen ! Also if any one is interested in a cheap and good printer check this one out ! Canon LBP 6000 . Like I said I only paid 50 bucks free shipping too!