ways to speed up drying/curing process without baking?

Started by fuzzmonger, January 22, 2013, 01:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzzmonger

Hi guys,

Just wondering if you had any tips on speeding up the drying//curing of claercoat/paint without a toaster oven (they're kinda rare in blighty). Hairdryer, heat lamp, anything like that? I just don't think I have a clean enough environment or the patience to leave it somewhere for a couple of days per coat.

-Fuzzmonger
-Fuzzmonger

R.G.

Cardboard box, fed by hair dryer, or with a light bulb inside. Arrange it to let some air come in through an opening, preferably filtered through a cheapo furnace air filter. Opening at the top to let hot air and evaporated solvents out.

Essentially, make a low-temp oven.

Notice that there are many ways to make this really really dangerous if you're not careful to keep it from getting too hot. There's a real danger of fire if you're inattentive or careless.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

John Lyons

A fan even by itself will work well.
Heating the air will work even better as mentioned.
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

mremic01

I've put enclosures under a lightbulb with good results.
Nyt brenhin gwir, gwr y mae reit idaw dywedut 'y brenhin wyf i'.

killerkev

Mustachio

I use a cardboard box some times with an electric heating pad under it that has a built in timer. And periodically ill use a heatgun to blow some hot dry air into the box. Ill heat the box a little too. Just short amounts of time so I dont catch anything on fire. I also Use the heatgun before I spray the box and a few minutes after I spray a coat . Sorta helps the flashing period. But I still end up waiting a day or 2 before I mess with the box to much. And even longer with the pour-on clear coat.

Heat gun works good for all of it though.
"Hhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg"

Kesh

Blighty in winter. Put it on radiator, though not directly touching.

Paul Marossy

Back when I had a big 20" CRT monitor, I would stick my box on top of it and let the heat coming off it help cure the paint faster. True story  :icon_lol:

davent

One of the acrylic paint brands i use, Autoair Colors, instructs to heat the painted object with a heat gun after paint application for 1½ min and you're good to go for the next coat. That's what i've ended up doing for all the acrylics i use. Coats are airbrushes so not a lot of paint in any one coat.

I leave it for a week after the colouring is done before i start clearcoating. Put them in an unheated shoebox after a clearing to try to prevent dust settling out.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

fuzzmonger

Wow, lots of great tips and ideas, guys! :) got a few old oil-filled radiators that'll probably fit the bill nicely. Btw, great to hear from you, Paul. Your site gave me a lot of guidance and encouragement to start DIYing all those years ago so thank you so much for that (well, I'm now doomed to spend the rest of my days Chasing the Silicon Dragon so perhaps I should be scorning you instead ;D )

-Fuzzmonger
-Fuzzmonger

Jaicen_solo

Want to know what the pro's do?

A friend of mine operates a mobile re-finishing service for cars. He will arrive at the clients address, erect a tent around the car and refinish a panel or whatever. Between coats, and after the final coat he will use a halogen heater to cure the paint. 20 minutes and it's hard enough for sanding finishing.

Depending on the type of paint used, you can also use a UV lamp.I think he adds some sort of catalyst, which means he needs to clean his spray gear up ASAP.

ashcat_lt

Maybe if you did more baking, you wouldn't worry so much about how long it's taking?   :icon_biggrin:

robmdall

Quote from: davent on January 23, 2013, 01:04:46 PM
One of the acrylic paint brands i use, Autoair Colors, instructs to heat the painted object with a heat gun after paint application for 1½ min and you're good to go for the next coat. That's what i've ended up doing for all the acrylics i use. Coats are airbrushes so not a lot of paint in any one coat.

I leave it for a week after the colouring is done before i start clearcoating. Put them in an unheated shoebox after a clearing to try to prevent dust settling out.

A bit OT, Dave, are you airbrushing on a clear coat?

davent

^Yes! Have used StewMac's discontinued waterbased lacquer am now using Target 7000 which so happens to be the waterbased lacquer StewMac now sells. Have also sprayed Varathane and Polycrylic Varnishes (both waterbased) with good results but the lacquers are waterclear, give a great sheen if that's what you're after and they are much easier/forgiving to work with. With the Target 7000 gloss i'm able to get a great looking matt finish and have been leaving it at that. Four sheens available.

It does take mutiple coats (many times multiple) depending on the substrate roughness and how close to glass smooth you want, gives great results and allow for indoor spraying the year 'round.

StewMac's lacquer buffed out.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

robmdall

Dave thank you for the info. I was hoping for that response. Will check out the Target 7000.

Bob

By the way - Great looking finish ^^