Switch to flip order of two effects in one box?

Started by brand0nized, January 22, 2013, 10:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brand0nized

I guess I just don't know how switches work on the inside.

So I want to put two drives into one box, both of them true bypass, with a toggle switch that allows me to switch which one comes first in the chain. Can someone draw me a diagram of how I would wire this with what type of switch?

jmwreck

Quote from: brand0nized on January 22, 2013, 10:31:53 PM
I guess I just don't know how switches work on the inside.

So I want to put two drives into one box, both of them true bypass, with a toggle switch that allows me to switch which one comes first in the chain. Can someone draw me a diagram of how I would wire this with what type of switch?

is this what you're looking for?

brand0nized

Quote from: jmwreck on January 22, 2013, 10:36:37 PM

I think so, I'm not quite sure...  ;D

If I were to fit this into the same box, then I do without the send/return jacks right? And also the LEDs? Would that slim me down to a 3PDT?

R.G.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

jmwreck

Quote from: brand0nized on January 22, 2013, 10:50:20 PM
Quote from: jmwreck on January 22, 2013, 10:36:37 PM

I think so, I'm not quite sure...  ;D

If I were to fit this into the same box, then I do without the send/return jacks right? And also the LEDs? Would that slim me down to a 3PDT?

4pdt to 3pdt means you're removing the LED indicator. send and return are for your pedals that you want to switch orders.

jasonsguild

If you want to select the order, but still want the option of being able to select the FXs individually I believe you can just incorporate this 3pdt toggle switch between the main in & out jacks and the two FX's 3pdt stomps.  The ins and outs from the toggle would connect to the middle pole in & outs on the 3pdt stomp switches.  Could get a bit messy with all the wires and jumpers though.  

In this crude diagram, the switch would be going left to right.

Jason D

Mark Hammer

I whipped up a loop selector box, using the Beavisaudio diagram, with stompswitches to true bypass the individual loops, and a toggle to flip the order.

I can't think of too many situations where a person would want/need order-flipping on tap, so a toggle struck me as sufficient.  Equally important, it: a) would not require indicator LEDs since the position of the toggle handle provided the needed visual indication, b) would not require a more expensive and large stompswitch, and c) could be situated at a convenient location on the pedal, permitting more room for error-free stepping on the stompswitches.

Naturally it would be wired up just like the beavisaudio diagram, but omitting the set of 3 contacts used for the LEDs.

As for the rest of the wiring, instead of send jacks, that connection would go to the input of each respective circuit board, and their outputs would go to the corresponding receive point.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: Mark Hammer on January 23, 2013, 11:22:24 AM
I can't think of too many situations where a person would want/need order-flipping on tap

It might actually be useful for someone like me. An example would be being able to put a phaser in front of or behind a distortion pedal. Can give you two different sounds. Might have to try that.

Mark Hammer

That's certainly a very valid reason to want to have order-flipping available (and the very reason I've been harping about this as a feature that manufacturers should consider including), but I can't think of many folks who would need to do that mid-song.  Reach down, flick a switch, between songs, certainly.  Play a solo in front of 80 liquored-up folks and hit the switch for that little extra touch?  Not so much.

That said, given the number of times I've had to answer questions about whether effect XYZ goes before or after a fuzz/distortion, I don't know why nobody is making slightly larger distortion pedals with a selectable and flippable loop, or why none of the people making loop-selector boxes don't have order-flipping for, say, 2 of the 4+ loops they control.  Given the complexity of pedalboards these days, and how often pedals have to be tightly packed in to accommodate the number and diversity of footprints, the convenience of being able to re-configure a pedalboard, without having to tear it down and reconstruct it, is an absolute godsend for some folks.

J0K3RX

brand0nized,

I think you mean this, correct?

You can use a 3PDT instead of the 4PDT if LED indicator is not needed. You can also use a 3PDT toggle switch instead of a stomp switch... I would be inclined to go with the toggle switch since it is doubtful that the reversed settings for either pedal combination would be the same

Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

brand0nized

Quote from: J0K3RX on January 23, 2013, 01:16:10 PM
brand0nized,

I think you mean this, correct?

You can use a 3PDT instead of the 4PDT if LED indicator is not needed. You can also use a 3PDT toggle switch instead of a stomp switch... I would be inclined to go with the toggle switch since it is doubtful that the reversed settings for either pedal combination would be the same

Yes! I think that was what jasonsguild was showing. Thank you both, those are perfect!

Paul Marossy

Quote from: Mark Hammer on January 23, 2013, 12:28:41 PM
That's certainly a very valid reason to want to have order-flipping available (and the very reason I've been harping about this as a feature that manufacturers should consider including), but I can't think of many folks who would need to do that mid-song.  Reach down, flick a switch, between songs, certainly.  Play a solo in front of 80 liquored-up folks and hit the switch for that little extra touch?  Not so much.

Yeah, that's true. Might be a cool idea to have something like that on an integrated pedal board though.