stupid pedal tricks: PJP fuzz-overdrive mk ii

Started by pinkjimiphoton, January 24, 2013, 04:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

digi2t

Quotei have a bunch of CAD programs, but i'm too "add" to learn 'em.

That`s why it`s called «TinyCAD»... it`s for people with «tiny» attention spans. :icon_lol:

Seriously, as easy to use as DIYLC, that`s why I use it.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

pinkjimiphoton

you'll probably find any npn's in the right gain should work fine... q1 80-120 ish, q2 250-500ish

i wasn't particularly picky once i settled on which ones i liked.. socket 'em, mix and match. ;)
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

deafbutpicky

talking to me right?
You'll see why I chose my nick. I've got a bunch of different ts just for the case,
but most of the time I can't hear a difference. I'm gonna try 3904s or 3903s
for the first and 2n2222A, bc549B, or b109cfor the second. Still have some more rescued
out of some electro trash so something's gotta fit ;D
Some diode tweaking too...   Sunday's time for some electric praise :icon_twisted:

pinkjimiphoton

you're the only one here, so...
;)

yah, use whatever ya got, see what sounds good. i @#$% with fuzzes for MONTHS sometimes, hell, sometimes YEARS before i settle on something i think is acceptable. ;)

i did try bc109's in this, too hot for Q1, but for Q2, the hotter the better pretty much.

you can put damn near anything in i bet. keep me posted how ya make out.

the diode clipper things would probably be fine with rat shack silicons, i doubt there's all that much magic in them. have fun..that's what it's all about!!  :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

kodiakklub

jimi: when you say "balls" on the schem, does that translate to "volume"? i love the tones from the vid so im gonna build this puppy up as close to your specs as possible, BUT, i think i want to make a good use of these new(?) blender pots i found on mouser. they are dual gang but have a special curve. read the pdf on them. made specifically for guitar use:

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/54/PDB182-GTRB-27641.pdf

but i still want to incorporate the 2nd FSW to turn toggle either the fuzz or OD (havent decided yet). anywhoo, just ideas at the moment, but trying to draw up the schem. any help much appreciated. thanks.

pinkjimiphoton

yah, baalz is volume.

nice looking pots! but i don't quite get what ya mean... i don't think you can blend between the two sounds, but i may be wrong!!

i mean, all it is is adding more diode clipping and a pad at the same time, really.

i'll try to help any way i can! ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

kodiakklub

yeah after i wrote i stared at what you were doing a little harder and noticed that you were only lifting the connection to the diode to ground. so the blend is kind of out of the question. but next question: what exactly is the function of the .22uf cap attached to the OD trimmer do, tone control/high rolloff? do you think it would be worth making this a full fledged pot?

pinkjimiphoton

the .22u cap on the trimmer helps nuke the noise from the gain boost. (it's not really a boost, obviously) i found i only got earwigs on that one setting.

if you lift the ground from the volume control, it becomes more of a "contour" or "attack" control... i felt it needed a volume more than a tone control tho, so i made it one.
you could use that as a mod, as well. ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr