Tip or sleeve, quick question

Started by The Rocket From The Tombs, January 26, 2013, 12:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rocket From The Tombs

On a 6 prong pcb mount jack, are the first two sleeve (closest to the nut on the jack) or are they tip. I'd think sleeve but, I just wanna make sure.

R.G.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

What should the readings be? n how many ohms for the setting, I've just got a cheap multimeter.

slacker

It's probably what you said but to check, plug a lead in, you can hopefully then see what touches what. If not get your meter and put it on the continuity/buzzer/diode setting, plug a lead in touch the tip with one probe, touch the pins with the other until you get one that beeps repeat for the sleeve.

Ah, thanks. I just discovered I only have continuity on one side of the jacks

Kipper4

Is it a switched Socket though?

usually the tag from nearest where you put the plug into to furthest away is normally

Nearest Sleeve
Middle   Ring
Furhtest Tip
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

I think it's what you described. Furthest being tip, thanks!

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: The Rocket From The Tombs on January 26, 2013, 01:40:02 PM
Ah, thanks. I just discovered I only have continuity on one side of the jacks

If you are seeing this, and it is a 6 prong PCB mount jack... then it is most likely a stereo SWITCHING jack. When you insert the plug, you break the contact from one side to the other. This is why you only measure connectivity to one side when the jack is installed. If you remove the jack and measure between the opposite sides, you should get contact.

These types of jacks are good for stereo uses.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

AHHHHHH WOW!!! The wah pedal I've been working on for a YEAR! (I'm sure from the amount of help I've needed that most everyone on the forum has seen my troubles.) THAT WAS THE PROBLEM!!! Ahaha! Thank YOU!