"new" old fuzz...the Suzy-Q Kustom Harmonic Clipper

Started by pinkjimiphoton, January 31, 2013, 09:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinkjimiphoton

hmmmmm, weird..
on the vero, looking at it, is there supposed to be a track cut at b4?  cuz then the link would be between d and g. right now, it's between g and b of q2.
that's actually what i built, which does work. interesting. i built the vero layout you made and ommitted that one track cut to get power to q2, and i thought that 1m looked weird. if there's a track cut at b4, tho, that would match the schematic correctly.
the weird thing is that the one i built from this layout works, and sounds like the original one...as shown on the schematic.
so i'd imagine it would need one more track cut at b4, and that jumper replaced. cuz right now, it has b of q3 connected to g of q2 via that 1 m resistor in the upper left, and i know my eyes are off a little right now from working on crap all day, but i don't think there's supposed to be a connection there. a track cut at b4 would separate them..
take a look and let me know what YOU see please miro.
i mean.. it seems to work either way. that may be why pete's build the bias control thing wasn't working right.
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

EDIT... i think something's messed up here with my interpretation.. i need sleep, will sort this out!!

• SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

mirosol

Hehehe... I'm assuming you'll post the "final" schematic in a few days :D I'll revise the layout then. I'm putting it back on "unverified" and "on hold" for now...
+m

pinkjimiphoton

thanks miro!
ok, after looking at tagboard, the one track cut at d14 was THE only mistake.
i'm not used to looking at veros from the underside, so i missed that there was a track cut at b4 already, which i DID add.

so effectively, dick's fuzz has only the 10p cap between b and c, as the 1m resistor isn't attached on the other end.
curious.
it sounds good that way, tho it was a lot pickier about transistors!! damn.. now i guess i know why.
sadly, it's shipped. i doubt he'll ship it back so i can fix it, tho i think i'll ask.
supposed to meet him next month at a book signing in boston, maybe i'll bring a little wire and an iron and ask if he can bring it with him. ;)

will have the revised schem soon. sorry for the confusion!!
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

mirosol

Nah. It's ok. I'll bring back the link and post it corrected on the blog :) The extra cut blocking the voltage was corrected earlier.
+m

pinkjimiphoton

AWESOME, thanks miro!!
i'm gonna build another one, and experiment with a switch adding/removing that resistor. it may just end up being another tonal option, which i'd have never found without YOU, so thanks bro!!
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

this is the one i'd built to miro's original layout. the 1m resistor on q2 has been removed, (you can use it or not, depending on transistors used apparently) and the simple treble shelf control (labeled philter on the box) added.

slightly different circuit, but not "intentionally" verified yet. this is what i built, and it indeed works, i think it sounds fine... but..

i don't wanna call it "verified" (this version at least) until i can build one and make sure it's cool.

if someone could run a circuit sim, i'd be eternally grateful!!

there's a bit of stuff regarding this going on here:
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2013/02/jimi-photon-suzy-q-mkii.html?showComment=1362513969176#c8786517816226828828

if anyone is interested. peace out
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

• SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

kodiakklub

pinkjimiphoton

• SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: Gus on February 02, 2013, 11:36:31 AM
If I wanted more gain and a lowpass filter.  I would build something like the following.
I would remove the follower stage and make it a controlled/designed gain stage (about x10 as shown gain can be adjusted).
and place the lowpass between the stages (output resistance of the first stage,R14 and C7) Increase or decrease C7 for lowpass
adjust coupling caps values for highpass frequencies

Also I don't like the first stage biasing of the first stage of this fuzz(grounded emitter with only a C to B resistor) I would use the C to B and B to ground type biasing like you find in a BMP IF you want the feedback from C to B.  This is more predictable without selecting a hfe of the transistor.

gus's idea, as in post #29 realized in vero:

• SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

deafbutpicky

I totally forgot to put this up here:

It's a bit noisy but this maybe due to the BS170s and the low bias on them. Well it sounds too good, so I don't dare
to mess with it at this point... :icon_mrgreen:

pinkjimiphoton

try adding the tone control, it may take enough of the hiss out.

on mine, the hiss ain't bad unless ya goose the attack and gain knobs... i run them half up usually, and the volume just cracked, about 9:00 seems to be unity
beautiful layout bro, thanks so much!!

that enclosure is f'n sick, too!!   :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

deafbutpicky

thanks too, I'll give it a go later on. Fine tweaks usually come after playing it for a while once you hit the sweet spot for me
and this was spot on.

I'm diggin' further into delta blues atm and stacking this (with mictester's secret sauce [with mods] in front occasionally) gives me some goose bumps...

pinkjimiphoton

nekro bump:

this is the only pedal that has been continuously on my pedalboard other than my fuzzface and wah since 2013. damn ;)

and yes, tone report weekly ripped it off. i'm not gonna get into that bullshit.

but this has been ridiculously versatile, for me anyways.
rock on
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

digi2t

Alex was nice enough to do a vero of it over at Tagboard recently too. You might want to check it out and let him know if the version he drew up is the final cut.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

pinkjimiphoton

yeah i saw that. that was what led me back here. i'd have to look at it good, it's not the rev g final version i made for dick wagner.
i expelled some butthurt about it and asked them to apply the PjP tag to it. screw nick kula, screw tone report.
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

made it brighter, louder, less gated, and a hell of a lot gainier.
i use a vn2222 mosfet for q1, a GE ac176 for q2, and a 5088 for q3
also added the tone control from my monkey balls pedal, which implements a feedback loop and "fake variable cap" to attenuate some of the highs without @#$%ing up the gain too badly.

removed the ge diode clipper between stages 2 and 3, it just killed the circuit too much. i've learned a bit since the original one i think. i moved it to the output of the circuit, and so far prefer either schotke's or plain old 914's. you may wanna either add a switch between the clipper and ground, or a resistance.. a 100k trimmer would let you dial in how much clipping occurs.

upped the gain of the chip, so now instead of 2x gain max, its more like 4 or 5x gain. the harmonics control really makes a difference now, and it can get VERY fuzzy. or can be turned all the way down if need be or for more of an amp sim kinda sound.

bumped up the final stage's gain substantially by changing the e resistor from 2.2k to 47r. you could also just ground it directly, but you probably don't need that much gain.

ditched the pair of caps between stages 2 and 3 as well, and made it a single .022 cap. .047 and .039 in series works out to almost exactly .022. go figure. ;)

switched around a couple components in the power supply as well, added another diode (yeah i know but i prefer this way... nothing tends to blow up, where as with a series diode the diode can fail and often does. by adding a reverse biased one to ground too an overvoltage or opposite polarity will just shunt to ground and nothing blows up)

added a bigger rfi cap to the power supply as well, and moved the ripple "choke" resistor.

i ditched ALL the @#$%in snubber caps. no need for them. when i was testing stuff thru a little teeny amp, yeah, they sounded great to my ear at the time, but they really robbed the circuit of life pretty bad so i ditched all of them. the tone control works really nicely to do the exact same thing now anyways, so they were all unneccessary. the 100k feedback resistor on the chip you may wanna add a small treble peaker too, but i don't think its likely necessary.

so anyways... here ya go. the suzy q mk III kustom harmonic clipper

if ya set the attack about half, the harmonics about 1/4 and the volume about 10:00 it still really nails that green river sound, and if ya turn your guitar down its total suzy q.

but if ya crank the attack and harmonics knobs, it very much becomes a very "harmonic slurry" kind of fuzztone and can get ugly in a kinda beautiful way. the tone control can tame it down.

should have enough balls to kick any amp into overdrive.

put a fuzzface before this thing and be in guitar volume knob heaven. feels plays and sounds like you're playing thru a great classic amp.

funny, me ditching germanium from a circuit, huh? ;)

anyways... come meet the new hoss... similar to the old hoss, but more hoss power.

if ya build it and ya diggit, let me know. i'll try and lay out a vero at some point

peace
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

trabigwe

Hi,

Thanks a lot, mister Photon!

Does anybody have done a vero version for the MK III? I'd like to try it a lot !!!!

pinkjimiphoton

hey bro,
mr photon? who's that? i'm just jimi, my peeps call me pink ;)

i think i already replied to this on tagboard to ya... i ended up abandoning the project and never finished the mkIII. the vero above was the final version released back in the day, if ya want the tone knob, look at the schem. peace!
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr