Dipthonizer builders: mods?

Started by Morocotopo, February 01, 2013, 08:56:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinkjimiphoton

man i was a fool. the modern lm13600 version sure ain't the old one.

tried the specc'd 13600, ended up going for a 700 instead, seemed to track better

all mono ceramic caps, electros all tants except the 100uF

tl074 for the quads

5232 for the dual

i forget which cp i used, it was whining so i shorted pin 1 to pin 8, no more whine

for the detector part of the circuit silicon diodes really suck.
it quacks much better with ge... i used two 1n34's as they were convenient. made the thing more touch sensitive

also changed the fuzz clipper to asym ge/si as i did originally... two 1n34's in series, cathode bands to ground to clip the soft(er) clip the top of the wave, one 1n914 band away from ground to clip the bottom.

now it starts behaving more like the old one.

for the cap c2, i like 1n on this one, but i found on the original it sounded and tracked better with nothing there. the cap is just to mellow the fuzz a little,  so it comes down to what sounds good to your ear.
i may remove the cap down the road.

i suspect i modded or fudged some values on the original one, bugger me for selling the damned thing without checking bean's forum first to see if i could build the earlier revision still. i gotta whole sleeve of 3080's still.

on a plus note, it fits nicely into a 125. i gotta rock this thing live tomorrow to see how it matches up. hard to tell in the dungeon.
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

oh yeah, while researching W(hat)T(he)H(ell)ID(id)

on the originals, i used 240k resistors instead of 220k

r21 i used a 10k trimmer instead of the stock 1k.

hope that helps some future formant adventurer
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr