tricks to make an organ sound?

Started by timd, February 04, 2013, 07:03:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timd

So far the best non-midi organ tone I have heard is the organizer pedal:

I have come up with something similar with my Muza modulation pedal which has a 2-voice pitch shifter. I put one at an octave above and one an octave below added reverb and it sounded close, but has anyone had any success finding a good organ tone without spending big bucks on an organizer or pog?

digi2t

XP-300 does some nice ogan sounds, but I must admit, the Organizer sounds pretty awesome.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

timd

What is the XP-300? I did I search and came up with a guitar.

petey twofinger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBf2lc0PCxA

digitech xp 300

super cool device . check dinos youtube , he figured out how to burn all the versions on one chip , so its like having the whole series on one pedal .incredible . hats off , that is just amazing .

and want !
im learning , we'll thats what i keep telling myself

StarGeezers

For years no we've used a Boss Harmonist  into a Rolls Twin Spin  for a Great organ sound ...  has a leslie effect too ...  2 speeds ...   :icon_mrgreen:

midwayfair

Brian @ Madbean said he used the low Rider (pearl octaver) as an organ sound on the record his band just recorded. I've used it more as a synth organ. But it does a really good job. The fuzzy upper octave actually makes it sound MORE organ-like.

But the Organizer sounds like it's part digital, so it might be more versatile/less tweaky. I'm a fan of EQD stuff.
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

digi2t

Quotebut has anyone had any success finding a good organ tone without spending big bucks on an organizer or pog?

I let my keyboardist worry about stuff like that.  :icon_mrgreen:

Sorry, you threw me the ball, I just had to run with it.

QuoteWhat is the XP-300? I did I search and came up with a guitar.

Search, Digitech XP-300.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

slacker

The organizer is possibly Spin FV-1 based, they use that in at least one of their pedals.

DougH

Joe Gagan posted a vid once where he showed how he did it with just guitar, maybe a fast chorus too. The trick is to turn the tone knob on the guitar down, use the bridge pup, and finger pick. A lot of what you hear in "organ sound" is a combination of leslie (or some sort of fast vibrato) along with playing technique (fast percussive attack, slices of diads and triads syncopated with bass notes instead of full chords, etc and so forth). Even the super heavy "rock organ" sounds I can get with my HOG sound better when pinching double and triple stops with my fingers instead of full chords. Sure, you can set it to give a good organ sound just by strumming open chords, but you quickly find that using an expressive playing technique goes a lot further in really sounding like an organ, and when you get to that point you don't necessarily need all the electronics to get a similar effect. FWIW a compressor helps a lot, esp for sustained chord sounds.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

Paul Marossy

Sounds like stuff my original POG can do...

gcme93

Just came across this, a cheap version of a pog

The characteristic organ sound is the octaves above and below. Past that its just a bit of chorus and reverb.

I bought an Exar Octavium less than a year ago (monophonic = single doses of fun), and I'm now really regretting not getting this digital octave pedal (polyfun) However, it does seem to have quite a bit of modulation (bad tracking?) in this video made by the company themselves.

EDIT

1.10 onwards seems pretty sweet as an organ. The volume pedal makes a HUGE difference here!
Piss poor playing is why i make pedals.

seedlings

You might be able to grab a cheap digitech expression factory EX-7 that has the Space Station (xp-300) as well as univibe and leslie.  I find that an overdriven signal into the leslie or univibe does a pretty good organ.  Also for note-at-a-time kind of organ sounds, volume pedal + lots of drive + reverb does pretty well.

CHAD

rousejeremy

Danny Gatton! Just a dirty guitar and tremolo. Starts around 1:07
Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

timd

Quote from: gcme93 on February 05, 2013, 05:29:37 PM

Just came across this, a cheap version of a pog

The characteristic organ sound is the octaves above and below. Past that its just a bit of chorus and reverb.

I bought an Exar Octavium less than a year ago (monophonic = single doses of fun), and I'm now really regretting not getting this digital octave pedal (polyfun) However, it does seem to have quite a bit of modulation (bad tracking?) in this video made by the company themselves.

EDIT

1.10 onwards seems pretty sweet as an organ. The volume pedal makes a HUGE difference here!
A couple settings of that Mooer sound good. I've only heard of this company very recently and I'll have to check the price vs. alternatives.

timd

Alright super quick Google search tells me $88 - 109. Didn't look at all the shipping prices though....

timd

Here's what I came up with the gear I had on hand. After I made the video, I experimented with the guitar tone knob. Tone all the way down gives it that organ sound from many 90's ska songs and almost a steel drum around the 12th fret D string.

gcme93

Quote from: timd on February 07, 2013, 05:23:57 PM

Here's what I came up with the gear I had on hand. After I made the video, I experimented with the guitar tone knob. Tone all the way down gives it that organ sound from many 90's ska songs and almost a steel drum around the 12th fret D string.

Nice combo! Would definitely fool me with my eyes closed. When im home I'll try it with my horrible korg multieffects pedal that I've git fir about £70... That'll be a challenge ;)
Piss poor playing is why i make pedals.

timd

Yeah, give it go with the Korg. If it has pitch shifting, great! A 2 voice pitch shifter is even better. Its also highly dependant on playing style too. A little reverb or delay never hurts also.

WhenBoredomPeaks

i tried to approximate an organ in this track i recorded for practicing recording but i think i should work on that for a bit more
https://soundcloud.com/#dptp2/hula-hoop

i used a Boss-CS2 comp into a Behringer US600 (one octave up, mix pot around 70% wet) then an Arion SCH-1 into a Hall Of Fame with modulated reverb.

timd

Cool - Whatever the method, I find it tracks best on the the E-G strings.