Tiny enclosures.... How do you guys do it???

Started by rocinante, February 08, 2013, 04:25:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rocinante

Quote from: duck_arse on February 08, 2013, 09:31:33 AM
stick a knob out either side it might fit. and maybe one out the front makes three. I hope you didn't pay too much for that case, cause it looks like it's made from cardboard!

Haha. The cardboard one was just a mock up I did when I was bored to concept test fitting everything in. But the actual enclosure is much smaller internally than an "a". It has these strange metal grooves everywhere and what seems like a lot of lost space compared to the external dimensions.

Thanks everyone for the tips though. Madbean- I'm going to go and study that guide now and thanks for the pcbs - they are awesome - and sturdy (I butchered that lavache a year ago when I was starting and it is still in tact after repopulating it I last week.

I'm going back to replan this build and see what else I can squeeze into those enclosures! 

Cheers,

haveyouseenhim

• SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

midwayfair

Quote from: pickdropper on February 10, 2013, 10:34:42 PM
Quote from: guitarmageddon on February 10, 2013, 09:33:05 PM
Good tip Perrow!
I've only seen those as DPDT, I'll have to shop around.
I've recently discovered the Lumberg DC jack. (JuanSolo sent me some- Thanks Mate! ) There's one in the pic I posted above. I've always found the DC jack to be the hardest part of the build. I dont like the way the external jack ones protrude, and the large bore of the regular ones eats up space.
BTW, I've always used neutrik open jacks.

I just discovered those Lumberg jacks as well.  They are very solid.  Probably the nicest isolated DC jacks I've used.

For the input/output jacks I prefer the standard enclosed Switchcraft jacks.  I like having the flat top to mount the board to.

My favorite thing about the Lumbergs is that they can more easily be mounted on the side, north of the input jack. This saves some vertical room and just looks more professional imo. You have to be pretty exact with the drilling, though, to keep the board from touching the nut.
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

Perrow

I've also bought a couple of these jacks. Haven't tried them yet, but they say you should be able to mount them "over/under" each other, someone else recommended them another time A-builds were discussed.

My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

adielricci

Some more ideas.

At present, I am using this type of jack, though it has to be cut to fit the enclosure.  As it is closed, it provides an easier assembly.

Chugs

Where did you get that jack? Never seen that type before.