Best I/O Jacks for Small 1590A Enclosure?

Started by fuzzymuff, February 09, 2013, 10:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzzymuff

My first 1590A build and it was a "bitch" to build....arg!!  I got it working, after many painful tweaking.  I know a 9mm pot would work for the pot, but the shaft was too short, ended up not having a washer under the knob to grab at leat one thread to tighten the nut, but the biggest pain was the jacks.  What are the best jacks to use that does not take up so much space?  I had to angle the footswitch on this build.

davent

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

senko

Honestly, the best solution is to just use larger cases.  Unless you have a major need for a small and condensed pedal, a personal project works well in a larger case.  I've always found that guitar pedals are easier to play with when they're large targets.

You can always add more stuff if your tiny boost circuit is looking lonely and in need of some serious customization! 
Check out my webpage http://www.diyaudiocircuits.com and send me suggestions about what you want to see!  I do all sorts of things with audio equipment, from guitar pedals to circuitbending to analog synthesizers.

midwayfair

Quote from: senko on February 10, 2013, 12:23:40 AM
Honestly, the best solution is to just use larger cases.  Unless you have a major need for a small and condensed pedal, a personal project works well in a larger case.  I've always found that guitar pedals are easier to play with when they're large targets.

You can always add more stuff if your tiny boost circuit is looking lonely and in need of some serious customization! 

Or we could, you know, answer the question the op asked instead of telling him not to use 1590As.  ::)

Op, the absolute best are the "low-profile" jacks at Smallbear. Nothing else gives as much vertical room. But they're also very good jacks overall. They have very nice action without requiring a lot of push/pull, they're sturdy despite being plastic, and they're TRS to boot. They cost a little more, but I would use them for every build if I could afford them. I smoosh a little wire between the bolt and the case to ground the encosure when I use these and it works great.
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

fuzzymuff

fuzzymuff

Quote from: midwayfair on February 10, 2013, 12:32:26 AM
Quote from: senko on February 10, 2013, 12:23:40 AM

Or we could, you know, answer the question the op asked instead of telling him not to use 1590As.  ::)

Op, the absolute best are the "low-profile" jacks at Smallbear. Nothing else gives as much vertical room. But they're also very good jacks overall. They have very nice action without requiring a lot of push/pull, they're sturdy despite being plastic, and they're TRS to boot. They cost a little more, but I would use them for every build if I could afford them. I smoosh a little wire between the bolt and the case to ground the encosure when I use these and it works great.

Thanks!!  I went to smallbear and they seem to not have the low profile jacks in stock anymore....or I couldn't find it in there website, but I ended up ordering it from Mouser which sells them for .48 cents each.  So ended up ordering about 40 of them :) 

Pyr0

bluebunny

^^ +1 to what these guys said.

But it you want to use regular open jacks, then they only need to be a jack's width apart (and not touching!) - just locate the "spring" contact downwards.  Here's one of my modest examples (the jacks could actually have been closer still...):

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

fuzzymuff

fuzzymuff

Quote from: bean on February 10, 2013, 09:38:25 AM
http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Detail?no=576

Jeeze, I've looked under the jacks section, but I guess I didn't go through the entire page.  :icon_question: :icon_question:  Thanks for the link.

fuzzymuff

Quote from: bluebunny on February 10, 2013, 12:34:17 PM

But it you want to use regular open jacks, then they only need to be a jack's width apart (and not touching!) - just locate the "spring" contact downwards.  Here's one of my modest examples (the jacks could actually have been closer still...):

Yea?  So about a jack width apart and drilling the hole a little higher away from  under the top part of the enclosure so the spring contact does gournd out when a cable is inserted.  This would save me $$$ has I already have dozens of regular open jacks.

Pyr0

midwayfair

Quote from: Pyr0 on February 10, 2013, 06:39:39 PM
Quote from: fuzzymuff on February 10, 2013, 06:18:19 PM
Quote from: Pyr0 on February 10, 2013, 07:38:08 AM
I use these ones for small builds

Where do you get these?

Online shop in Germany - http://www.uk-electronic.de/onlineshop/index.php/

huh. THey have the low-profile jacks the same as smallbear -- only place I've ever seen them, and a really great price on them, too. But I don't see the small jacks you've linked to.
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

guitarmageddon

Quote from: bluebunny on February 10, 2013, 12:34:17 PM

But it you want to use regular open jacks, then they only need to be a jack's width apart (and not touching!) - just locate the "spring" contact downwards.  Here's one of my modest examples (the jacks could actually have been closer still...):

+1 to this, but you can get them closer by bending the lugs.

bluebunny

Quote from: fuzzymuff on February 10, 2013, 06:22:45 PM
Yea?  So about a jack width apart and drilling the hole a little higher away from  under the top part of the enclosure so the spring contact does gournd out when a cable is inserted.  This would save me $$$ has I already have dozens of regular open jacks.

Yep, I just locate the jack half-way up the side.  No grounding, though you could always insulate the inside to avoid problems (I use pieces of plastic guitar string pockets - very handy).

Quote from: guitarmageddon on February 10, 2013, 09:38:00 PM
+1 to this, but you can get them closer by bending the lugs.

Quite right.  My example wasn't the best, but the only one I had to hand.  Yours is much better.  And lots more in the Pictures/1590A thread, too.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Pyr0

Quote from: midwayfair on February 10, 2013, 08:49:30 PM
Quote from: Pyr0 on February 10, 2013, 06:39:39 PM
Quote from: fuzzymuff on February 10, 2013, 06:18:19 PM
Quote from: Pyr0 on February 10, 2013, 07:38:08 AM
I use these ones for small builds

Where do you get these?

Online shop in Germany - http://www.uk-electronic.de/onlineshop/index.php/

huh. THey have the low-profile jacks the same as smallbear -- only place I've ever seen them, and a really great price on them, too. But I don't see the small jacks you've linked to.

Sorry for the delay, was away for a few days.
They are half way down this page - KLBM63 mono, and KLBS63 stereo.
http://uk-electronic.de/onlineshop/index.php?cPath=50_22_24_299&osCsid=2e3256c1f283401f7b1e1bcacf42392e