Building the ADA Flanger!

Started by stonerbox, February 16, 2013, 07:27:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stonerbox

I'm about to build the ADA flanger for a friend. Problem is here in Sweden, good online electronic shops are rare and I can't seem to get my hands on CD4007, CD4047, LM7815, CD4049 or MN3007.  

Should I drop the ADA and look for another flanger schematic or is there maybe some substitutes out there?

There is nothing more to be said or to be done tonight, so hand me over my violin and let us try to forget for half an hour the miserable weather and the still more miserable ways of our fellowmen. - Holmes

jmasciswannabe

It is totally worth sourcing the parts if you enjoy the building process and want a killer analog flanger. Otherwise grab a line6 liquaflange. Sounds great, very versatile and cheap. As far as the components, I am sure if you really want to build it, someone could source parts for you here and then ship them to you.
....the staircase had one too many steps

stonerbox

Quote from: jmasciswannabe on February 16, 2013, 09:10:46 AM
It is totally worth sourcing the parts if you enjoy the building process and want a killer analog flanger. Otherwise grab a line6 liquaflange. Sounds great, very versatile and cheap. As far as the components, I am sure if you really want to build it, someone could source parts for you here and then ship them to you.

Yeah, it seems to me as a pretty sweet pedal. I mean I don't even like flanger to start with but this one might just change that.

Quote from: WhenBoredomPeaks on February 16, 2013, 10:31:21 AM
your parts in order from a swedish shop:
https://www.elfa.se/elfa3~se_en/elfa/init.do?item=73-509-55&toc=0&q=4007
https://www.elfa.se/elfa3~se_en/elfa/init.do?item=73-473-54&toc=0&q=4047
https://www.elfa.se/elfa3~se_en/elfa/init.do?item=73-633-77&toc=0&q=7815
https://www.elfa.se/elfa3~se_en/elfa/init.do?item=73-037-96&toc=0&q=4049

ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=mn3007&_sacat=0&_from=R40

just by using google

Wow, thanks man! I don't know how I could miss this store.
There is nothing more to be said or to be done tonight, so hand me over my violin and let us try to forget for half an hour the miserable weather and the still more miserable ways of our fellowmen. - Holmes

WhenBoredomPeaks

Quote from: stonerbox on February 16, 2013, 11:42:04 AM
Wow, thanks man! I don't know how I could miss this store.

Could you find that "weird" FET? (4393) (i'll try to replace it with a J201 and change the TRESHHOLD pot to 100k, not sure if it will work)

I am in the process of finishing this thing and i can't turn it on because there are no LT1054s in my country, gotta use ebay.

armdnrdy

There's been much discussion on a replacement for the 2N4393. Many different FETs have been substituted with less than stellar results.

I used the original and had the "Threshold" control working without a hitch. I think that the threshold function is very dependent on this particular FET.

I would try to source a 2N4393 or a PN4393

Try Mouser, Newark, or if you don't mind waiting a month Futurlec.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Paul Marossy

Quote from: armdnrdy on February 16, 2013, 12:54:35 PM
There's been much discussion on a replacement for the 2N4393. Many different FETs have been substituted with less than stellar results.

Yes, in my repairs of original ADA flangers and in my own MN3007 clone, that is the only FET I have been able to get to work as was intended.

WhenBoredomPeaks

Quote from: Paul Marossy on February 16, 2013, 07:51:37 PM

Yes, in my repairs of original ADA flangers and in my own MN3007 clone, that is the only FET I have been able to get to work as was intended.

what happens when you use a non-working FET substitution? it won't gate the noise but otherwise it i
will be good or the whole effect will be silent or defective?

can i just bypass the GATE circuit by connecting some of the holes for the FET on the PCB? I've seen in the ADA FL thread that it is not too noisy.

intripped

in my mn3007 clone i have used a J201 with a 100k threshold pot and i'm ok with this configuration.
i don't know how the threshold control works in an original unit, but on mine i have it working as a gate for flanging effect (and also for some subtle  noise in the background, due to the flanging wave causing some weird sounds)
i can dial with the pot and find a sweet spot where if i play softly there's no flanging effect, and when i play more energically the wave comes up - this is very interesting with extreme settings because you can obtain beautiful effects.
as i said before i don't know how the threshold control should  properly work, but i'm very happy that mine works as described

StephenGiles

I left out the FET section - more trouble than it's worth.
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

moosapotamus

Quote from: WhenBoredomPeaks on February 17, 2013, 02:33:09 AM
Quote from: Paul Marossy on February 16, 2013, 07:51:37 PM

what happens when you use a non-working FET substitution? it won't gate the noise but otherwise it i
will be good or the whole effect will be silent or defective?

can i just bypass the GATE circuit by connecting some of the holes for the FET on the PCB? I've seen in the ADA FL thread that it is not too noisy.

If you use a non-working FET substitute, the effect will still work and sound as it should. Only the Threshold control will not do anything.

If you don't want to use the Threshold (noise gate) part of the circuit, you don't have to bypass anything. As Stephen did, you can just leave those parts out.

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

Dave W

That's where it's at.

WhenBoredomPeaks

Ok, i will use a 100k Pot and a J201 whatever the outcome will be, i don't really need that gate.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: moosapotamus on February 18, 2013, 12:10:37 PM
If you use a non-working FET substitute, the effect will still work and sound as it should. Only the Threshold control will not do anything.

Yep, that has been my experience too. When it gets tricky is when you're repairing an original unit. Never been able to get any other FETs to work for that.

Quote from: Dave W on February 19, 2013, 01:15:35 AM
J201/100k works fine as a gate.

Good to know there is an alternative.

Fender3D

Any FET should be biased to work properly as variable resistor.
You may tinker with R32 or you may connect it to a ~50K trimmer wiper, trimmer side lugs to +V and GND, then trim for a proper work
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge