Is it posible to build a pedal into a humbucker case?

Started by noobamp, February 16, 2013, 06:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noobamp

the 1590A build topic got me thinking about going even smaller....is it possible? In a humbucker case?
nothing like the smell of hot Bovie in the morning....

amptramp

It would be possible to build a small preamp like a Tillman.  Using surface mount, you could get more ambitious.

earthtonesaudio

The electronics aren't the limiting factor, the user interface is.  Choose your controls (or lack thereof) wisely.

noobamp

I was looking at the stomp switch, and it would stick out.... it seems like the components just spill out the bottom....bu then again, I never thought people would be able to fit in four mini switches and a handful of knobs into a 1590A.....

earthtonesaudio

What makes a pedal?

In my mind a device is a guitar pedal if it:

1. affects the guitar signal at some point between guitar and amp
2. is sufficiently modular such that it can be placed before or after (or in parallel with) other effects
3. is normally placed on the floor

Notice what is not included:
1/4" phone jacks
any sort of switch
9V battery
potentiometers, LED, etc.

Your definition of "pedal", and whether you choose to stick to it when building a device, is entirely up to you.

noobamp

Fair enough.  let me rephrase then.....can people do what they have done so so well with 1590A enclosures, but in a humbucker case......? The only reason I am asking is because I feel like if I say that it is impossible, builders like guitarmaggeddon, nicofx, and pickdropper will say,"ha! impossible? Never!"

earthtonesaudio

Rather than try to shrink an existing design, I would start from zero components except the enclosure, and build into it, taking care to keep part volumes as small as possible.

Since you absolutely have to have input and output (and probably power) I would start with a microUSB connector.  It has 4 conductors so input/output/power/ground are done.

Next I would choose the category of technology with which the effect will be implemented.  For me that would be some sort of digital (surface mount) processor which requires a minimum of external support circuitry.

Finally I would decide what controls I want, and then AFTER that decision, figure out how to implement them.
E.g.
I decide to include a bypass switch; what switch will fit?  A traditional type certainly won't, but a membrane switch can fit on top for light stomping.  Or, I could project light out of the pedal and sense a reflective object such as a shoe, and toggle bypass when that happens.  Or, I could listen for the sound of someone stomping the case with a piezo and trigger on that.  If my processor is powerful enough I could use a camera and pattern recognition to switch when the user makes a certain gesture.

All of this could take up as little as 1/4 of a humbucker case.