Tonepad vs Commonsound tremulus lune

Started by patricks, February 16, 2013, 10:30:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patricks

Hi there,

I'm looking to build a tremolo pedal and the tremulus lune has caught my eye. The Tonepad and Commonsound schematics look different to me (tonepad: http://www.tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=84; Commonsound: http://commonsound.org/tremulus/pcb2.4.1/schematic.pdf), and the Tonepad PCB/layout seems to have an older date on it (Dec 2009 for Tonepad and Aug 2011 for Commonsound).

I'm looking for build reports of each version, which is more reliable/useful/musical? From the searches I've done so far, I've seen that some people have had to troubleshoot popping/ticking noises from the Tonepad version, but I'm not sure if this is still a problem.

Any feedback would be great :)
Cheers
Pat

Le québécois

The commonsound have C3 (antiticking cap), the SYM mod and a 9Vdc regulator. I never use the regulator in my 3 builds. The SYM mod is interesting (but I made it switchable and not controled by a POT). C3 was always required.

In any case, this is a nice pedal. 

rousejeremy

And you need that cap to stop the LFO ticking.
Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

patricks

Excellent, just the advice I was looking for, thanks guys!
Commonsound PCB ordered and on its way  ;D

chromesphere

Hey Pat,
I wonder if the poppong noises has to do with the DIY LDR issue i mentioned in my build report (link below)?  My tremulus lune was a tonepad etch but updated with commonsound fixes. 

I gotta say, hardest part about this project was working out which layout / build instructions to follow!

This video i made a while back might be of help you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRS-tsC4cp8

Good luck,
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop                Youtube

patricks

Hey, another Aussie!  :icon_mrgreen:

Great build report, thanks for the link. Good to know about the dark resistance for the LDR and the trimpot in parallel, too.

I got an email today that the PCB is in the mail already, that was quick! I'll let you know how it turns out when it's all together :)

Cheers
Pat

chromesphere

There are a few of us on diysb (aussis) :) Ive got loads of diy guitar pedal videos if your new to this hobby.  Check em out, hopefully they are useful to you.

Although its a bit of a headache to work out all the mods / right values etc, its worth it!  its a fantastic tremolo!

Paul
Pedal Parts Shop                Youtube

patricks

Cool, good to meet you :)
I've done a few electronics projects before, so the tremulus won't be my first but I'm not certainly not immune to faults - I've been troubleshooting a theremin on and off for a year or so now (I need to borrow an oscilloscope, but that's another story). It's definitely good to know about the vids, I've checked a couple out and they're very useful.

I put my Tayda order in today, I ordered enough parts to build 5 pedals (buffer, phaser, muff, OD and tremulus) plus RG Keen's JFET matcher. That'll keep me off the streets for a while!
Cheers
Pat

duck_arse

a theremin you say? and in australia? what circuit you using, and what's the problem?
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

patricks

Well, it used to be in Australia. I'm in the US at the moment, but I'm moving around November and it's coming with me so who knows where it'll be then :lol:

It's the MkI version of the Jaycar theremin, with Max Baars' mods applied (http://thereminworld.com/article/14272/silicon-chip-theremin-modifications). I built it stock ages ago and it worked fine, but didn't love the sound so I put it aside. I found the article about the mods a bit over a year ago and applied them, but since then it makes a "put put put" noise just before it goes quiet (as you bring your hand toward the volume plate), like a motorcycle idling.

I think the pitch and volume circuits are interacting, but I need an oscilloscope to find where it's going wrong. A friend of a friend has one they might be able to lend me, so that's the next step. Of course, if I stop buying pedals and parts, I'll save up for a Burns or an Etherwave and be done with it :)

duck_arse

hmmm, I've never looked at the jaycar ones, and theremin world is having difficulties at the moment. that improved version looks like an immensly complex board. I built the 144 by whatsis name years ago. v. simple. tried to redesign it a while back, but ran into component problems (and a lack of engineering).
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.