Potentiometer tap percentage question

Started by polaris26, February 21, 2013, 11:56:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

polaris26

Hello all -

Sort of odd question here:

When a pot is advertised as having a tap at say 40% or 50%, are they talking about percentage of the rotation of travel, or percentage of resistance (in the case of a log pot)?

I.E. Does a 100K volume pot with a 40% loudness tap have the tap at about the 40K ohm point up from ground, or is it 40% of the rotation from the ( I am assuming) ground or counter-clockwise end of the pot's rotational travel as seen from the front?

thanks,
Dave

In the heart of the Poconos!

GGBB

Although I've never seen it written as "loudness tap," any time I've seen a percentage figure for a log/audio pot it has referred to the percentage of total resistance at the mid-rotation point.  So a 40% 100K pot would be split 40K-60K clockwise at the mid rotation point.  A 50% log pot would actually be a linear pot.
  • SUPPORTER

polaris26

Ah sorry if I was unclear -

I was saying the *tap* itself is specified as being at a percentage - not the taper of the pot.  In the old days, a lot of audio equipment came with so-called 'loudness' networks to compensate for perceived lack of bass & treble at lower volume settings.  This tone compensation network was tied to a tap on the volume pot.  I have seen some vintage volume pots described as having a "40% Loudness Tap".  I am just asking percentage of what?   I.E. is it tapped at 40% of physical rotation, or 40% of the (total) resistance rating of the pot.  If we were talking about a linear pot then the two things would be the same since the 40% rotation point would also (ideally) be the 40% resistance point.  However, the taper in this case would be the typical log taper used for audio volume pots and there would be a tap at some point around the resistance track.  I am just trying to find out what the 40% actually indicates.

thanks,
Dave

Quote from: GGBB on February 21, 2013, 12:37:40 PM
Although I've never seen it written as "loudness tap," any time I've seen a percentage figure for a log/audio pot it has referred to the percentage of total resistance at the mid-rotation point.  So a 40% 100K pot would be split 40K-60K clockwise at the mid rotation point.  A 50% log pot would actually be a linear pot.

PRR

Loudness tap is percent rotation.

Look at such a pot. The extra terminal is about 40% of the way around the body.

• SUPPORTER

Seljer

I have an old Pioneer hifi with one of those loudness networks. Switching the 'loudness' switch doesn't do anything once you're past 50% rotation.

polaris26

dmillar01

I would like to reaffirm the replies already posted. I also could not find an answer to the original question on the internet (except for the replies in this blog). So I ordered a 100K, 2-gang, 40% loudness tap, audio pot from RadioShack. Their customer service referred me to this blog. The pot they sent me had a center-tap at 50% rotation, not at 40%. To get the tap position I adjusted the potentiometer position to minimize the resistance from arm to center-tap (about 500 ohms). The rotation position was 50% of the total total rotation from stop-to-stop. The resistance from the CCW end to the center-tap was about 15% of 100K. My conclusion is that the previous reply is correct: a 40% loudness tap refers to the fraction of the rotation from the CCW end to the CW end, not the resistance fraction. Note that for a linear taper the answer is "rotation and resistance fractions are the same".

thermionix

Interesting, I would have assumed it was % resistance.  Learn something new every day on this board!