BOSS-Style Pedal Trick

Started by Rigel, February 23, 2013, 04:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rigel

Hey! I recently came up with this ideea, as I could not find any enclosure for my octaver (I'll show the schematic for that one as well. It's nice because it does not use a transformer). So I tought : what if I can get the PCB INSIDE one of my pedals? (I have two Behringer pedals..boss style). So I took the pedal apart and tought how can I do this. The PCB fitted nicely inside the battery cavity, and I tried to figure out how to put the circuit after the pedal. I've unsoldered the output jack and glued it upside down on the PCB, conected everything, used a spdt slide switch as a bypass for the octaver (unfortunately where I live I can't find any stomp switches  :icon_sad: ). I've powered up the octaver using two wires soldered to the pedal's power jack. It works WONDERFULL. The only downside (for me ) is that I can't turn on and off the octaver using my foot so I have to bend and switch it using my hand, but I hope I will find a stomp switch soon. Today I fitted an Electra Overdrive in the other pedal as well. Works like a charm. So what do you think about this "mod"? Is it worth? It can be done on bigger pedals as well, there you will have more space and also a place to mount a stomp switch.
The octaver: http://www.lynx.bc.ca/~jc/superFullWave.html

EATyourGuitar

a metal box is better. the behringer pedals don't need shielding because they redesign everything to work that way. if your happy with it then that is really all that matters.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

Rigel

Yeah, but I can't aford BOSS pedals. All my equipment except my guitar is behringer (GM108,X V-amp,OD300,DM100),and cables are made by me.

smallbearelec

I agree: The BOSS/Ibanez/Behringer-style enclosure is very functional. But none is optimized for DIY, and the vendors will not sell them blank. That's why I commissioned the Bare Box #1:

http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Detail?no=1286

It's available off-the-shelf, and the accessories available for it allow the DIYer or small factory to build in the same modular fashion that large manufacturers do. It's a little more $$ than the usual suspects like the 125-B, because I had to front some enormous tooling expenses. I hope you will agree that the functionality and built-in conveniences justify the higher price.

If you do build in it, please show off the result.

Regards
SD

bordonbert

I know this is an old post so apologies for resurrecting it but I'm new here.

I wondered if you still had these or similar enclosures for sale and if you had got as far as supplying in the UK or to the UK yet?  If so what prices and postage are they at?