Dr Boogey into amp's FX return!

Started by ghostsauce, February 26, 2013, 10:45:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghostsauce

Tried this yesterday going into my Marshall 4100 DR to bypass the amp's own preamp and just take advantage of the tubed power amp. WOW. Sounds so good, and I was really surprised but the way I had it dialled in sounded extremely close to my 4100's tone. I guess I know what I like. There is a difference of course, some spongier low-mids which was nice and the highs had a little bit of color that I didn't like, but overall very very solid tone minus a barely tangible amount of mud. It's a stock gaussmarkov style DB, with a little more bass added in and the modern/raw/vintage switch mod, which I've always loved on vintage.

Anybody else attempt to do this? The only issue I found is that the amp doesn't get as loud, but that could have been because of where I had the loop level set as well if that makes a difference.

Years later, my first build is still surprising me. :D

MetalGuy

QuoteTried this yesterday going into my Marshall 4100 DR to bypass the amp's own preamp and just take advantage of the tubed power amp. WOW. Sounds so good...

This is where it is supposed to connect anyway. This type of high gain pedals are not for the clean channel. Go straight for the power amp/ FX return.

J0K3RX

MetalGuy is right... This is a mock down of the actual mesa dual rectifier preamp. You said that the only issue you have is the volume? You may want to build a separate buffer/boost pedal to add after the Dr.Boogie. Shouldn't really do anything except boost the output and maybe drive the return a little more... A lot of preamps have a buffer after the tone stack built in.
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

deadastronaut

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

ghostsauce

Good idea about the boost pedal after the boogie. I don't know though I've got mixed feelings.. I get great tone through the clean channels of the amps I've tried as long as they are set 100% clean.. I like the boogie via the loop best but unless I ever grow to dislike my 4100 I just would rather use it's preamp.

My other amp is a Class 5 so no clean headroom there, lol, but I am considering using the boogie through a cab sim straight into the PA for when that's a good idea.. Right now I'm wondering if I have the parts on-hand for an ROG Condor. :D

J0K3RX

Quote from: ghostsauce on February 27, 2013, 07:44:47 AM
Good idea about the boost pedal after the boogie. I don't know though I've got mixed feelings.. I get great tone through the clean channels of the amps I've tried as long as they are set 100% clean.. I like the boogie via the loop best but unless I ever grow to dislike my 4100 I just would rather use it's preamp.

My other amp is a Class 5 so no clean headroom there, lol, but I am considering using the boogie through a cab sim straight into the PA for when that's a good idea.. Right now I'm wondering if I have the parts on-hand for an ROG Condor. :D

I know a lot of people like the Condor.. I'm not one of them :-\
You might want to try this cab sim I think it is the closest/best one I have heard to date! No knobs no switches just great cab simulation... Plus its small and you can probably add it inside your Boogie...

ghostsauce

That.. looks fantastic. I didn't really like the condor either and was kinda looking for other options. This looks very very promising, thanks! Got any clips?

J0K3RX

Quote from: ghostsauce on February 27, 2013, 09:46:00 AM
That.. looks fantastic. I didn't really like the condor either and was kinda looking for other options. This looks very very promising, thanks! Got any clips?

I did have clip but now I can't find it...  ??? I will look for it, probably buried deep in the Black Forest thread somewhere...

There is another cab sim but not quite as simple as this one.. You have to use a browser like Chrome that will auto translate the page for you, all Russian.
http://guitar-gear.ru/index.php?p=proj&id=59

ghostsauce

Considering adding a preamp output and poweramp input into my Marshall Class 5 so I can plug my DB staright into the power amp, but am wondering if anybody knows how this pedal sounds this way, ie: without a buffered loop return.  Seems it would be fine just quieter possibly.

Govmnt_Lacky

@JOK3RX

I have not familiarized myself with cab sims.

Could you please explain what exactly this circuit is supposed to do and how it would/could be used?
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

ghostsauce

JOK3RX I'm sure will explain it better but it's for running instrument-level signal straight into a PA. Nice follower to something like the DB or other preampish pedals.

caspercody

I have never tried into amps FX return. Are you saying you have:

guitar to input of Dr Boogey. Dr Boogey output into amp FX return. And that's it?

Thanks
Rob

ghostsauce

Quoteguitar to input of Dr Boogey. Dr Boogey output into amp FX return. And that's it?

Yep! And you can stick stuff after the Dr Boogey like Delay/Chorus.

I've found that the DB's tone stack does not play well into the front end of an amp. I'm currently playing with the tonestack removed in my DB through my Class 5.. this might have done the trick for me. More testing required.

ghostsauce

Well just an update: I've found that the DB with the tone stack removed, minus the 10nf cap across the volume lugs to remove fizz, and with the modern/raw/vintage mod set to vintage sounds absolutely pristine through my Class 5. The signal is totally transparent except added gain, so going through the C5's tone stack it sounds kick ass. With the 10nF cap in place, it really sounds weird.. it doesn't affect it the same way as with the tone stack in place.

FINALLY have a perfect travel rig!

deadastronaut

modern/raw/vintage mod ?

ok, you have my attention...what mods are those? :icon_twisted:

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

ghostsauce

How do I know about this and you don't?! :D

Quote- build a standard DR boogie with gaussmarkov´s PCB..
- Replace the first coupling cap (after the fisrt fet, 22n) to 4.7nF  (C2)
- replace the first stage bypass caps for two caps, 10uF for "modern", 220nF for "Raw", none of them for "vintage", switch between them with a spdt On-off-on switch

Modern is your massive scooped tone, vintage is very very Marshall-y, and raw I never really liked but some certainly would.

deadastronaut

because i have a very short memory... ;D ;)

cool. gotcha!.. 8)

what mods were those?.. :icon_mrgreen:

ghostsauce

lol

Might as well post this too then:

Quote- replace the second coupling cap for 6.8nF or so
- Change the treble cap on the tonestack (6.8n) for something smaller (2,2nF or so)
- use 2 250k pots for volume A and Volume B, i only switch the output of them with one side of a dpdt, the other side controls the leds
- put a 10nF cap between lugs 1 &3 of one of the volume pots (doesn´t matter which one) to eliminate most of the harshness..

Quotethis part taken from:     http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=84110.0

C1 and C6 are bypass caps they effect what frequencies are boosted,using lower values only boosts higher frequencies.The smaller the cap the higher the frequencies that are boosted.  The bigger the cap the more/lower frequencies are boosted.This of course sets the knee at what point the effect becomes less...

Changing C3 bigger allows more lows through,raising R4 attenuates more signal and increases the effect of C3.
I would guess more is going on I am not aware of with those two components as well...

Increasing the presence cap increases its filter/effect on the tone.Someone else can give you a more detailed explanation as to what kind of filters ,ect.   Or use the search button and look up high pass / low pass filters.