Show us your SMD stuff.

Started by alparent, March 05, 2013, 02:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alparent

I really starting to like the cleannes of SMD stuff. And alot of you guys are rejuvenating old classics using SMD.
I made some SMD stuff (all on home etched boards).
Most of you created your own PCB layout for SMD.
We want to see them.

And let us know if some of those PCBs are for sale.  ;D

Yazoo

Have you seen this site? It was posted in another thread originally.http://milas.spb.ru/~kmg/index_en.html. It mixes smd with standard components.

I built the V30 speaker emulator and I really like the way the whole thing is mounted on the socket.

cloudscapes

Moving ever more towards SMD. still hybrid though. through hole resistors and caps are still way way faster for me than SMD. maybe that'll change if/when I start using reflow ovens, but untill then, not so much.

I've sort of given myself the "rule" that I won't home-etch SMD boards that are meant to be durable. Just SMD adapters or something. I don't like the idea of cheap pads lifting when there isn't a hole to anchor something down. Also, a solder mask makes SMD work about a thousand times easier when working with 1mm pitch stuff or finer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

alparent

Nice looking stuff Etienne.

But I'd like so set a new rule for this thread.

When you post stuff......you need to tell us what it actually is!  ;D

cloudscapes

first one is my programable tremolo  :)

second one is a dev board I made for looping/sampling tests  ;D

third one is the second version of my 1000th page contest entry, the granular glitcher thing  :icon_redface:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

slacker

More SMD through hole hybrid stuff

Spin FV-1 multiFX board, with PC programming interface on the breadboard.

artifus

Earthscum

I made a Chipdrive OD on homemade SMD stripboard that I use for breadboard (it now has the 4 leads bent to space to .1")

;D
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum

alparent

SMD strip boards! Nifty idea.

G. Hoffman

I messed up on a board design, and used a 0.8mm pitch footprint on a 0.5mm pitch part!!!

So, instead of trying to redo the whole board ($55 or so), I designed a little adapter to go between the two.  I had to reflow solder it to the original board.  I didn't have any solder paste (I had some, but it had gone off, since it was about 18 months old), so I just used a bit of solder and my flux pen. 

Oh NO!!!!!!

The adapter on the left is the back side, which matched the 0.8mm pitch footprint on the board.  The one on the right is the top side, and my first (failed) attempt to solder on the adapter.  Fortunately, I have three of these boards and only need one, really.

The second (successful!) attempt at reflowing the adapter to the board.  I haven't tested all the pins yet, but the 30-40 I have checked are right!!!!  Yeah!!!

Gabriel

SISKO

Amazing!!
What size the board is?
--Is there any body out there??--

G. Hoffman

Quote from: SISKO on May 13, 2013, 11:08:58 PM
Amazing!!
What size the board is?

Which one, the big one or the little one?  The big one is about 3.75 inches x 2.75 inches (about 100mmX70mm, give or take).  The little one is about 3/4 of an inch on a side (about 20mm).  I've redesigned the big board so it is right, so if I ever get around to actually programing it I'll get it made right before I box it up, but it saved me some money for right now!  I did all the via stitching on the ground plane (well, it's not actually connected to anything - I guess it's more of a heat transfer plane) to try and help with the thermal conductivity.  I have no idea if that actually helped or not, but once I got it lined up more or less right, it just kind of popped itself into the right place.

Gabriel

SISKO

The big one, sorry.
It beautiful!
Seems like a development board (kind of) isn it?

G. Hoffman

Well, yes, but for a particular project.   Lots of switches and LEDs on a yet to be manufactured board, but that's fine as I have an amp to finish before I can start programming it.   

Gabriel

haveyouseenhim

My first SMD project :)  I didn't realize how sloppy it looked till I took high def pictures :icon_redface:   Big thanks to Pickdropper for the awesome pcb.    It's the Blue Delay

And the unfinished enclosure.  Radioshack just started selling these cool little jewels so I decided to try one.

• SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

Jdansti

Quote from: haveyouseenhim on June 01, 2013, 01:26:10 AM
My first SMD project :)  I didn't realize how sloppy it looked till I took high def pictures :icon_redface:   Big thanks to Pickdropper for the awesome pcb.    It's the Blue Delay

And the unfinished enclosure.  Radioshack just started selling these cool little jewels so I decided to try one.

Good job!  Did you use solder paste?
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: Jdansti on June 01, 2013, 01:56:35 AM
Good job!  Did you use solder paste?

Nope. Just some SUPER thin solder and a fresh soldering tip.
  • SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

G. Hoffman

I've put this one on a  test bed now - a mock up of the project I can use while trying to program the µC - along with a whole bunch of switches and bi-color LEDs and such. 

The Flickr set

Gabriel

SISKO

Excellent! Very good job!  What are those 8 pin chip for, memory?

G. Hoffman

Quote from: SISKO on June 06, 2013, 05:26:49 PM
Excellent! Very good job!  What are those 8 pin chip for, memory?

Yup, I2C flash. 

Gabriel