Custom Wah Enclosures

Started by t11, March 05, 2013, 06:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

t11

I've been wondering and searching to little avail trying to find different enclosures more along the lines of the Digitech Whammy and types like that with a sideboard as opposed to the typically available dunlop types. Are they solely proprietary? Hoping the community at large can help me find 'em.  ;D

Devius

Make what you want out of cardboard (not joking) and take it to a local metal shop. They can fabricate whatever you need.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: Devius on March 05, 2013, 07:54:33 PM
Make what you want out of cardboard (not joking) and take it to a local metal shop. They can fabricate whatever you need.

That could work. Just be willing to pay the price... I'm pretty sure it won't be cheap.

stirfoo

I came across these guys while looking for an on-line producer.

http://www.protocase.com

They do one-offs and say 2 to 3 days turn around. Has anyone used them? They've got a templating system. Pick a style, supply some dimensions and they'll send you a CAD file.

This diy method looks doable. Could probably rig up my dremel with a cut-off wheel and a straight edge to score the bend lines.

http://www.instructables.com/id/bending-sheet-metal-with-a-grinder/

Paul Marossy

Quote from: stirfoo on March 06, 2013, 03:11:20 PM
I came across these guys while looking for an on-line producer.

http://www.protocase.com

They do one-offs and say 2 to 3 days turn around. Has anyone used them? They've got a templating system. Pick a style, supply some dimensions and they'll send you a CAD file.

Neat service. But someone still has to make the enclosure after you've paid them for this CAD file. If you're not equipped with the right tools or skilled enough to do that yourself, you're still looking at paying someone to do it for you. Fortunately for me, I have AutoCAD so I can do virtual mockups quite easily. Done it more times than I can count at this point....

stirfoo

I may get a quote just for the hell of it. Have a base to start from then get a few quotes from local shops.

Paul, did you you make that tap tempo enclosure for your DD-5 yourself? Looks nice.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: stirfoo on March 06, 2013, 03:23:00 PM
I may get a quote just for the hell of it. Have a base to start from then get a few quotes from local shops.

Paul, did you you make that tap tempo enclosure for your DD-5 yourself? Looks nice.

Actually I spoke too soon. They apparently have a free CAD program, pretty cool that they offer that.

Anyway, that DD-5 tap tempo enclosure was an LMB Heeger enclosure that I cut down so that the switch surface would be at an angle. All done by yours truly.  :icon_wink:

t11

Wow awesome. Thanks a lot for all the suggestions guys. I actually have a couple friends in fabrication and didn't even consider it myself so thanks for that especially. If anybody does manage to find something more readily available keep me in mind.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: t11 on March 07, 2013, 12:52:22 AM
I actually have a couple friends in fabrication

Well, that will probably help a lot with cost then.  :icon_wink: