Burnt finishes

Started by rice37, March 07, 2013, 09:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rice37

Ok before i make any serious mistakes, anyone do the ol' Hendrix treatment to a guitar pedal? Wah more spacificly? If so tell me how it went and maybe a pic? Thanks

John Lyons

The main thing is you need to either use paint that will actually burn, most enamel spray paints do not, or
burn something and use the smoke/soot/ash to make the pedal seem like it was burned by holding the pedal over the burning object
so the smoke tarnishes the finish. You can pour flammables onto the pedal so it will burn as well.
I recommend using a propane torch as it will be a good source of heat and flame. Spraying paint into the flames may be
nice as well. Be careful!!
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Tonemonger

There's some pretty flammable glues that might yield interesting results ?!

rice37

Oh i like the blow torch idea!!! What about a heat gun??i borrowed one to take the "finish" off a Squire strat in a garbage can, and that fking thing got HOT!!!!!

Lurco

Ancient Joe Gagan pedals? (Nine Volt Nirvana IIRC).

Gus

Do you know what is in the fumes?

RandomGlitch

Spray or dip in cooking oil dirtier the better, bake in oven.

joegagan

listen to gus. proper ventilation and proper respiratory gear where necessary. study your materials.

this was done with metal foil HVAC tape cut into tiger stripe-ish strips. i imagine a similar result could be had on metal by painting a base color ( light, like yellow/orange) and then burning. the tape residue itself becomes a color. in the case of the wood strat, i washed away the residue before a light lacquer stain

my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

Arcane Analog

Quote from: John Lyons on March 08, 2013, 01:25:32 AM
Spraying paint into the flames may be nice as well. Be careful!!

I desperately want to see this done along with the finished product!

rice37

kaludjerko

that strat looks great!
Some of the bowyers use heat gun to make wood stronger and as a result get similarly browned finish on their bows.

JebemMajke

kaludjerko

Hey Miša,

... and I thought I have weird nick. :-D
That is recipe from youth ...

duck_arse

I once saw spencer p. jones pour vanilla essence onto his white strat, and light it on-stage. it ended up just looking like a burn mark on a guitar.

he also had a drink of the essence, 11% alcohol or something.
don't make me draw another line.

John Lyons

Well if we're posting wood stuff then here...

Torched ash sanded back and walnut hull stain (harvested from out trees).

Same process but this one has amber shellac

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

chromesphere

Pedal Parts Shop                Youtube