[Mini-Guide] Design Your Stompbox Using SketchUp + Basic Components

Started by tomas1808, March 09, 2013, 06:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomas1808

Hello fellow DIYers,

I am a big fan of SketchUp and use it constantly for DIY design. When used correctly it can be a very powerful tool, so I decided to give a small contribution to the community by spreading and enhancing its use.

I have made a small Library of Basic Components specifically for stompbox design. Some made by me, some collected from the web and some hybrids (taken from the web and then corrected).

Notable components are:

• Various Hammond Diecast Enclosures
  • Switchcraft 1/4 Jacks (Open & Enclosed)
  • Alpha 16mm Potentiometer
  • 3PDT "Blue" Footswitch
  • Standard Toggle Switch
  • Small Collection of Knobs (Of Varying Quality)
  • LEDs (3mm and 5mm + Bezel)
  • Other varied components

All of these in real size (to quite a high degree of accuracy).

Designing stompboxes in Sketchup first makes the actual IRL building much easier. Especially useful for checking that everything fits in tight builds, avoiding making holes in the wrong places, etc.

Please note that component sizes vary between manufacturers. Hammond diecast clones are all over the place dimension-wise, for example.

Also included is a Sketchup Template for DIY and a Shortcut configuration. These were made by me, according to my taste and workflow. This is more of a personal choice kind of thing, so it is optional. (I encourage to try mine though  :P )

Installation:

Download Sketchup. Install normally.

Download DIY Components Collection. Unzip this file in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google SketchUp 8\Components". I recommend deleting the stock folders inside "\Components".

Download Template + Shortcuts Config (Optional). Put "Template" file in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google SketchUp 8\Resources\en-US\Templates", again recommend deleting stock templates. Now open Sketchup, select the new template and go to "Preferences/Shortcuts". Press "Import" and browse for "Sketchup 8 Shortcuts". Press OK and that's it, ready to go.

Usage:

Note that this guide assumes basic understanding of the program.

When opening Sketchup go to the "Components" window ("T" if using my shortcuts) and click in the arrow right to the House icon. Select "Components", this will show your DIY Components Library. Now drag and drop components!

In a nutshell, my shortcuts go like this:

Q to T open the different windows (Materials, Components, Layers, etc.)
A to G select the model manipulation tools (Select, Move, Erase, Pull-Push, etc.)
Z to V select the drawing tools (Line, Rectangle, Circle, etc.)
F5 to F8 enables/disables View options (Edges, Shadows, Axes, X-Ray)

Tip: Turn shadows off when working (consumes lots of CPU Power).

Thats It! Hope this helps!

I might update the library every now and then. Also, if anyone wants to contribute with aditional 3D Models please PM me.

Credits to the makers of all those 3D models pulled from the web.

tomas1808

Oops, double post.

Delete please!

rutabaga bob

I'll ask this question for those who do custom graphics: is it possible to import a graphic file from, say, Photoshop or Illustrator, and put it in place?
Life is just a series of obstacles preventing you from taking a nap...

"I can't resist a filter" - Kipper

tomas1808

Yeah, you can.

You have to go to "File/Import..." and select "All Supported Image Type" in "Files Of Type" drop menu. Proceed to select image.

Remember to use .PNG images to allow transparent background, instead of getting a white background in the image. In Photoshop you have to delete the white background layer first.

tomas1808

Kipper4

looks cool. if i had time i'd love to do some. I might download it for a later date
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

defaced

Quote from: tomas1808 on March 11, 2013, 05:28:10 PM
Sketchup not very popular in here, it seems  :P
Actually, I'd use it, but I suffer from "already know how to use engineering solid modeling programs, so SketchUp and I haven't meshed well" syndrome.  Having done models of parts, I know how much effort you put into these, they look great.  Very nice work.  Admittedly I didn't spend a whole lot of time digging for tutorials when I looked at SketchUp, do you have links to any tutorials you have found helpful?  I always got stuck on the apparent lack of modeling to scale, so I never bothered to get into even looking to see if SketchUp would do things I need like assemblies (which I'm guessing it does from your screen shots) or dimensioned drawings (I drill using a mill).
-Mike

tomas1808

I understand perfectly. I am sure Sketchup isnt as deep as engineering modeling programs, but honestly there is little I cant do with it. I find it perfect for DIY applications (where error margins aren't as tight). I think its main strenght is ease of use, while its main weakness is the making of complex non planar surfaces, which I rarely have to.  

Not sure what you mean with "modeling to scale". I assume Assemblies are the equivalent of Components in Sketchup, as in "a model composed of a number of submodels" (?).

I think Sketchup can export .DWG files which can be then converted to gerber, not sure if that answers anything at all though  :P. Sorry for my lack of knowledge.

No tutorials, sorry. I learnt just by messing around with it for a while. It is very intuitive. When you get used to using hotkeys, you go FAST. I made the stomps above in less than two minutes (just drag and drop components basically).

I bet you could convert my components library to other formats so you can use it in your program of choice (many models where originally .STEP or .IGES, I just converted them to .skp).

Perrow

I used Sketchup for my 1590A Superfly build.

The enclosure, jacks and switches found on the Sketchup site, everything else I made myself (DC jack, OT, knobs, tubes, PCB and pots). I liked doing it but find I can do pretty much all my builds without the extensive millimeter fitting this build required.
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

~arph

Wow, this is cool!  another thing that will eat my precious time  8)

tomas1808

Good to know I am not the only one using the program, Perrow.

Beautiful build. Certainly tight. Love looking at before/after pics (sketch vs real life product). It always looks better in real life!  

Yes, you can certainly do without sketchup, but personally I get a strange sense of accomplishment when I spend a bunch of time designing the stompbox in sketchup (finding the perfect placement for parts, try different cosmetic styles, etc.) and then build it in real life. Maybe its because I make a very small amount of boxes and take a long time for each build. If I built 5 boxes a month I probably wouldn't use sketchup at all :)

(The real reason is that I am a control freak  ;D)

merlinb

I just started using Sketchup yesterday for a project at work.

Great collection of components (guess I wasted yesterday drawing neve knobs myself  :icon_wink:)

One newb question: How do you edit them once you have them? I mean, how do I get the lid off one of these Hammond enclosure components?!

EIDT: I think I got it- right click on the component and select 'explode'.

JPGraphX

tubegeek

Quote from: ~arph on March 12, 2013, 06:16:20 AM
Wow, this is cool!  another thing that will eat my precious time  8)

My experience exactly with SketchUp. Thank you Tomas1808 - I guess....

My situation is that I haven't learned enough even to be dangerous yet. But I know for a fact that it's EXTRA cool. This might give me a push!

Careful Merlin: wear eye protection if you're gonna click on that!

"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

Ice-9

Iv'e never used sketchup before, it's always been one of those overlooked programs for me, thanks for the info here it looks like I will have to give it a try
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

MaxPower

That's pretty cool.

I used to mess around with 3d modelling and animation (with Hexagon and Carrara Pro). Had in mind to make animated music videos. While it's fun, it is just too time consuming.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters, compared to what lies within us - Emerson

Pettol

Looks really interesting. Maybe I can finally stop worrying - will it all fit?

(The Components library is temporarily unavailable at the moment, but I'm sure it will help lot once I get it.)

potul

Hi

sorry to revive an old thread, but I was looking for a stompbox library for sketchup and I found this thread. But the links to the libraries are dead,....

Anyone knows if there are other links available or had them and can share?

thanks

Mat

bloxstompboxes

Quote from: potul on December 04, 2015, 09:45:28 AM
Hi

sorry to revive an old thread, but I was looking for a stompbox library for sketchup and I found this thread. But the links to the libraries are dead,....

Anyone knows if there are other links available or had them and can share?

thanks

Mat

I'd be interested in this too. Might do more of the 1590A builds if I had something like this.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

tomas1808