Adding Fixed Phase Stages to a Univibe

Started by Scruffie, March 13, 2013, 11:51:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scruffie

Would it just be as simple as placing a fixed resistor in place of the LDR and sticking an extra stage at the start and end of the shift chain?

I assume a value in the 47-100k range would be about right... not sure on what values the LDR shifts through in these.

I take it I can just use a Darlington too to save some space.

Mark Hammer

What purpose would additional fixed stages provide?  With phasers, adding stages provides for additional notches, which yields more texture.  With Univibes, more dips do not likely improve the resulting sound, since vibes do what they do by providing a few very broad dips, rather than notches.  Phasers focus attention on notches and peaks, while vibes defocus and draw attention to the overall "animation".

Scruffie

Quote from: Mark Hammer on March 13, 2013, 12:02:34 PM
What purpose would additional fixed stages provide?  With phasers, adding stages provides for additional notches, which yields more texture.  With Univibes, more dips do not likely improve the resulting sound, since vibes do what they do by providing a few very broad dips, rather than notches.  Phasers focus attention on notches and peaks, while vibes defocus and draw attention to the overall "animation".
Not sure really what I was expecting, just thought it seemed like it might be worth a shot but you make a good point regards the animation of it... although it might be nice in the more phasery settings (can't remember if it was chorus or vibe mode) it's probably not worth while for an overall increase in depth is it.