Solstice reverb question

Started by Lbzg, March 13, 2013, 12:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lbzg

Can Solstice reverb that is found on this forum be build with 3pdt switch and if it is possible than how? Also if not than what are ground, out and in holes on PCB?

alparent

Yes it can but you will lose the tail option.
Look at the Equinox documentation and there is a way to switch between tail and no-tail. At the no-tail position you are true bypassing the effect.
If you don't want the tail option, omit the option switch and just wire it so it's always in no-tail mode.

armdnrdy

You seem to be "hung" up and expending a lot of energy on using a switch that you already have!

Take a look at the image in this link so that you may better understand the difference between a SPST and a 3PDT switch.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=970.0

I haven't looked at the "Solstice" board but...all boards will have ground, in, out, ect.

Ground goes to the negative side of the battery or power supply, (There are generally more than one ground pad. Additional pads are for off board wiring such as grounding the input and output jacks.)

The input pad is....well...the input to the effect board!
The output pad is...you guessed it! The output of the effect board.

It might be a good idea for you to look at a few projects before you try to build something. By doing that you will familiarize yourself with certain things that apply to almost every build. There is a wealth of information on the internet.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Lbzg

:-) I understand that all boards have ground, in and out...but on solstice and equinox PCB that is not labeled and instructions dont point which hole is which...so read post in whole before you post something I didn't ask for...:-)

alparent

If I look at this PDF http://www.freewebs.com/valvewizard2/solstice.PDF

It lists all the points your looking for.

When you said 3PDT, I was assuming you where talking about making it true bypass with a 3PDT stomp switch?!

armdnrdy

Quote from: Lbzg on March 13, 2013, 02:03:28 PM
:-) I understand that all boards have ground, in and out...but on solstice and equinox PCB that is not labeled and instructions dont point which hole is which...so read post in whole before you post something I didn't ask for...:-)

No need to get testy with someone who is trying to help you!

I assume that you are working from he PDF that alparent posted.
If your issue is that the PCB print does not have the off board pads labeled....what you do is look at the component layout (the first image in the PDF) which does have the pads labeled, and mark the pads on the component side of the board that you make with a fine sharpie.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

merlinb

If you can't identify a ground pad on a PCB when you are given the PCB layout and schematic, then you're probably not ready to build a circuit of this complexity.

Lbzg

Ok I see labels on solstice PCB but not on Equinox (ok, I will trace lines and find right labels).

Yes I need to know how to install 3PDT switch on this PCB or is it even possible...some say I will loose tail option...what is that and can someone explain it to me ( I maybe use different name for it but please need info anyway)?

alparent

The tail will fade out the reverb when you switch the pedal off.
If you make it a true bypass, the reverb will just stop, no fading out.

As for the 3PDT switch.....I think you will have to explain more.

1. Are you talking about a stompswitch?
2. Are you asking if you can replace the 2PDT stompwitch in the instructions with a 3PDT stompswitch you have?
3. Are you asking if you can make this non-true bypass effect (because of the tail) into a true bypass (and lose the tail)?

Lbzg

Quote from: alparent on March 14, 2013, 09:55:15 AM
The tail will fade out the reverb when you switch the pedal off.
If you make it a true bypass, the reverb will just stop, no fading out.

As for the 3PDT switch.....I think you will have to explain more.

1. Are you talking about a stompswitch?
2. Are you asking if you can replace the 2PDT stompwitch in the instructions with a 3PDT stompswitch you have?
3. Are you asking if you can make this non-true bypass effect (because of the tail) into a true bypass (and lose the tail)?

Thanks for clearing this tail term I use "cut the effect" ok we are at same page then. :-)

Answers to you questions;
1. Yes,
2. Yes,
3. Yes and no - I would like to have "tail" but I have only 3PDT switch...(please don't tell me to go and buy 2PDT, just help me use this one :-) )

alparent

If you look at the link in my previus post http://www.freewebs.com/valvewizard2/solstice.PDF
Looking at the picture on the inside. You can see that actualy only one pole is used.

So you could do the some thing with your switch, just ignore 2 of the poles.

Something like this:

!    ---    ---     ---    !
!                            !
!______________!

Just use the 3 contacts on the left.

I hope this crud drawing is clear enaugh?

armdnrdy

That is why I posted a link explaining the difference between 2PDT and 3PDT switches. (with pictures!)

Lbzg

Quote from: alparent on March 14, 2013, 12:33:52 PM

!                            !
!______________!

Just use the 3 contacts on the left.

You mean this contacts:

!    ---*    ---     --- !
!                           !
!    ---*   ---     --- !
!______________!

I'm orienting my self by horizontal poles (tips for wiring, where you solder wires are all horizontal or vertical it depends how you look at it) as shown on tonlab off board wiring...

alparent

Lbzg

Ok. Thanks for clearing that out. When I build this one I will post it and report my build details.

alparent

Great! Anytime you need it.......we are glad to help