Strange noise issue, Neovibe

Started by Kimster, March 14, 2013, 04:32:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kimster

Hi!

I´ve recently built me a neovibe with ggg pcb and I have a really strange noise issue. I´ve tried three different adapters, but it is still there...
The unit works good and sounds good, but... after a couple of minutes (or sometimes from start) there is a whining that follows the LFO, rather high freq. Usually it´s increasing during 2-3 sec and then is there for a couple of minutes, then it suddenly disappears and is gone for a couple of minutes, then it comes back again... The neovibe works fine all the time except for the noise.
Anybody have an idea? Could it be a bad capacitor that works occasionally? The noise is there both in vib and chorus mode.

// Kim

R.G.

Either you have an intermittent solder joint or wire, perhaps an intermittent contact on a jack or switch,
or
you have an intermittent heating problem on something, perhaps the voltage regulator, perhaps a cap,
or
you have an intermittent self-oscillation problem.

If it were mine, I would put an oscilloscope on it and see where in the circuit it starts. Failing that, I would resolder all the PCB joints and feel for anything getting hot on the board. If that didn't help, I'd start reading DC voltages with no signal.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Kimster

Ok, I´ll try it in that order! Wish me luck and thank you R.G. both for making the layout for this and help me!

// Kim

Kimster

It was the voltage regulator! Thanks again!

// Kim