Boss SD-1 "Bleed Fix" easier fix solved?

Started by soupbone, March 15, 2013, 02:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quackzed

i know this is an oldish thread, but figured i'd post this as my 'sd-1 bleed fix' searching always brought me here so others with the same search will probably see this too...
i just read an unrelated thread that solved this issue by swapping out the 1n4148 diode in the (d7 i believe) jfet switching path to a different 1n4148. same part # swapped and fixed the problem.mr. mark hammer said the possible reason was that different 1n4148s will have a slightly different turn on threshold, so when you swap in a different 1n4148 it COULD have a slightly lower threshold which can fix the issue. its the difference between turning the fet 'mostly' off (bleed) and turning it 'fully' off (no bleed)

so grab a handfull of 1n4148's and swap 'em into the d7 spot till you find one that stops the bleed.
nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

Rob Strand

If that solution works it is probably better to place a resistor across R18.
I'm thinking 330k but extreme units might need 100k.

The "best" thing is to find the largest resistor that works with a small safety margin. 
You should check with low and high battery voltages.
Use 1M or 500k pot across R18, adjust it until the problem is gone then use the next smallest resistor.

Since it is so fine, changing R18 and R19 to 10k's might even work.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

Xavier

Sorry to reply on an old topic, but I just attempted this fix using 2 different transistors (J201 and 2N5457) and it works well as long as I pick lightly...... the minute I dig in then I have kind of a "hard knee compression" effect, where notes swell in almost like if I was using a volume pedal. I have tried with 2 different pcb's and it's the same, so I've had to return it to stock .

Anyone else has experienced such an issue ?

EDIT: I can see there's 2 different mods.....one involving 2SK30 / 0,1 mF cap / 1N4148 diode (Analogguru), and another one -the one I have tried- involving a J201 and the existing C2 cap, no extra diodes. This is the one that doesn't work for me. I assume Analogguru's one is the right one ?