News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

PCB Software

Started by Lbzg, March 22, 2013, 03:37:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lbzg

Hi,

Please can someone tell me what pcb design software can import .pdf (adobe) file with pcb layout? Don't tell me that there is no such program because there is and I saw it but didn't remember it's name. :-)

Please, answer only if you know this program or programs.

Don't advise me to use converters because they are useless...pcbexpress and eagle does not support pdf...I need much more professional program...

phaseman

I use inkscape (it's free and it can run on windows, or linux) to draw the pcbs. It can import the most pdf docs. Of course, if your document has embedded jpg, you need to trace it in order to have smooth graphics (vector based).
Regards,
Marko

Lbzg

Thanks! But can it save in dxf files or in other files that can be used to produce pcb?

Labaris

I use Illustrator, but it's not a PCB-oriented program. Anyway, if you set up guides and units you can work very fast tracing PCBs.
A long way is the sum of small steps.

J0K3RX

Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

Lbzg

Quote from: J0K3RX on March 22, 2013, 04:44:11 AM
Sprint

Nope. It does not support .pdf files.

Please post only if you have red whole post.

pappasmurfsharem

Are you asking for software that takes a PCB layout from a PDF file then transfers it to a PCB program or software that takes a PDF schematic and transfer to a PCB Layout?
"I want to build a delay, but I don't have the time."

Lbzg

Quote from: pappasmurfsharem on March 22, 2013, 05:40:06 AM
Are you asking for software that takes a PCB layout from a PDF file then transfers it to a PCB program or software that takes a PDF schematic and transfer to a PCB Layout?

Yes! :-)

phaseman

Quote from: Lbzg on March 22, 2013, 04:30:02 AM
Thanks! But can it save in dxf files or in other files that can be used to produce pcb?

No, I usually export the image in png format (600 dpi) and print it.

JustinFun

Quote from: phaseman on March 22, 2013, 07:38:57 AM

I assume the OP is wanting to take a pdf layout and get it professionally fabbed?

I'd be really surprised if there were a program that could do this, but then the internet is a surprising place.

Lbzg - What's the source of the pdf file - can you buy fabbed boards from them, or contact them directly for the dxf file?

If they're happy to allow people to do fabbed runs of their design then they won't mind giving you the file. If they're not, well then you really shouldn't be doing this in the first place...

J0K3RX

Quote from: Lbzg on March 22, 2013, 04:58:48 AM
Quote from: J0K3RX on March 22, 2013, 04:44:11 AM
Sprint

Nope. It does not support .pdf files.

Please post only if you have red whole post.

Sprint does output to pdf... Did you try to use the print function in your software instead of the export function? Choose the layer you want to print (most likely the traces) then output to pdf creator. pdf creator is free to download.  Again, Sprint does output to pdf it just does not have a built in pdf compiler. Your software probably does the same thing?
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

phaseman

Quote from: phaseman on March 22, 2013, 07:38:57 AM

edit: inkscape can export to dxf, and I've tried it a few mins a go but I did not menage to import the file to autocad (for example)....

Anyway, I don't think that there is a sw that can import the pdf file in such way so one can edit sch or pcb like in eagle for exapmle. I think it must be done "manualy".

pappasmurfsharem

Quote from: Lbzg on March 22, 2013, 07:30:44 AM

Yes! :-)

I asked you two things.

Yes isn't all that helpful. Please re-read the question.
"I want to build a delay, but I don't have the time."

Lbzg

Sorry. :-)

I'm asking for software that takes pcb picture (like in ggg or tone lab) and transfer it to dxf or other file for use in pcbexpress or fab or dip or any other...

slacker

You can import images into eagle, scale it to the right size, easy using the grid, add drill holes in the right places and Bob's your uncle. Any reason why that won't work?

slacker

I tried what I suggested above, following these instructions for adding images to eagle http://www.instructables.com/id/Adding-Custom-Graphics-to-EAGLE-PCB-Layouts/ seems to work.

More detailed steps if anyone wants to give it a try.

crop and convert the pdf into a 1 bit bmp image, I used the GIMP but any decent art package should be able to do this.
Create a new eagle project with a blank schematic and board.
Follow the instructable to add the image to the board, might take a bit of trial and error to get the size right. For me this added the image to a new layer, rather than an existing one like in the instructable, probably my fault I only skim read it.
Run the Cam processor and add the layer the image is on to top solder or wherever you want it.
Admire your fancy pants Gerbers :)

I didn't try adding pads or holes, but I can't see why this wouldn't work. No idea if any fab houses will accept this sort of thing.