Is it "safe" to jumper around an FET switch?

Started by stoneattic, March 23, 2013, 10:56:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stoneattic

Don't laugh...

I'm true bypassing a certain manufacture's pedal that I don't want to mention for fear of ridicule. The switching on this particular pedal is done with SMD transistors, specifically a pair of 2SK880GR, instead of the usual TO-92 package that I've seen in their other, older pedals.  I'm a bit worried about removing the FET for fear of damaging the PCB and was thinking that it would be easier to just put a jumper from the Source to the Drain to keep it passing signal.  

Does anyone know if that might cause a problem?

Thanks!

R.G.

It's fine if what you want is that it act like the JFET is always 'on'.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

stoneattic

That's exactly want I want.  Thanks!

Not that I care about the FET itself, but I wanted to be sure it wouldn't cause any damage.

armdnrdy

I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

stoneattic

If only they existed.  I would be happy with just a suck reduction knob.

I finished the true bypass and all is good.  The leads on the SMB FETs were so close I just put enough solder to cover both pads. 

duck_arse

*is it safe?*

I've got a root canal scheduled for thursday morning. IT CAN"T COME SOON ENOUGH.

sorry for hi-jack
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.