TC Electronics - Nova Delay

Started by drew_fx, March 27, 2013, 02:25:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drew_fx

Heya,

I have two of these. They're awesome, if a little noisy. Now someone told me that they had the iB version of the pedal, and it was also noisy. This leads me to believe the noise isn't AD/DA or I/O buffer noise, as those were the overhauled things with the iB pedal. I am suspecting the power circuit.

Would it be possible to filter the power coming into the pedal, in order to clean up some of the noise-floor?

senko

The best way I find to filter out power supply noise is to figure out if that's the actual problem.  Battery power is one solution, one you can easily wire up with some alligator leads and a voltage/amp rating matching the power supply.  A 9V battery is typically ideal for this. 

If you do find the power supply is the problem, try other compatible power supplies.  Class 2 power supplies manufactured for appliances typically degrade after a number of years and output noise like crazy.  ITE power supplies can often introduce high pitched noises as well due to SMPS circuitry. 

Filtering works, but the best way is to have a voltage regulator with filter caps. 

I did a quick google search and found that these pedals have a reputation for being noisy.  Seek out posts on this board and you might find a solution.  Good luck!
Check out my webpage http://www.diyaudiocircuits.com and send me suggestions about what you want to see!  I do all sorts of things with audio equipment, from guitar pedals to circuitbending to analog synthesizers.