clocked 4013 square wave circuit

Started by skjaldborg, April 02, 2013, 02:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skjaldborg

I was playing around with square wave synthy stuff like: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=95116.20 and thought it might be interesting to stick a clocked 4013 on the square wave output of a square wave synth circuit . I used a 4069 but I suspect any square wave circuit capable of driving the 4013 will work

I wouldn't be surprised if this has been done before but I  couldn't find a previous post like it. Forgive me if I've missed something earlier though - there's a lot of archive to look at!

With both the oscillator pots (the 50K tlo62 ones)  fully open it gives you square wave back - the fun starts when you lower the osc frequency - either on just one or both sides of the 4013. You can get some nice (to me any way  ;) ) atonal stuff - bit ring moddy. With both turned down the circuit tends to get a bit glitchy. The output is at chip level and  needs reducing down to amp friendly levels  - I thought I would just do the bare bones circuit and people can adapt from there

Hopefully this is clear and not too many mistakes - it's my first attempt at putting a schematic together :-\

Paul

Govmnt_Lacky

Paul,

What about a dual-gang 50K with one of the TL062s wired in reverse? This way you will get equal outputs at the 12 oclock position BUT, neither of them will be at full minimum at the same time  ;D
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

skjaldborg

You could do that - but you would miss out on some useful stuff - there are certain frequencies of the two oscillators which just work well together. I think better brains than mine could confirm it but it's probably when one oscillator frequency is a certain division of the other. One part I didn't put on the schematic is to add a switch to bypass the oscillator control pot (i.e. runs at full blast) so you can preset one frequency on one side and a different on the other and switch between them or switch them both off for fundamental note square wave.

I have played around with this a fair bit - even to the extent of using a VC LFO so that the oscillators  varied constantly but to be honest it just became muddled rather than interesting

Paul