Bought a new pedal, and... it stopped working.

Started by Nyklus, April 02, 2013, 02:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R.G.

Quote from: Nyklus on June 11, 2013, 04:45:24 AM
I used a reverse polarity adapter on her and that why she stopped working,
Im wondering if any of you might have any idea, from looking at the circuit, what would take the brunt of reversed polarity mishap.
could be the capacitors or the chips. i have everything i need to replace them, just looking for some pointers.
I have a suggestion. If you already have everything you need to replace them, why not do them all? We're talking two ICs, three electrolytic caps and one diode.

Replacing those would take less time than you've already spent typing about the issue. Clip the leads off the ICs and diode, walk the electros out a lead at a time, then melt the solder sides of the pads and poke a wooden toothpick into the hole while the solder is molten to clear the hole. Pop in parts, being careful to get the orientation correct, then solder.

As a side note, the PCB makes one of the biggest beginner's mistakes - there was no provision at all for mounting the board.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Nyklus

my really nice multi meter read. 4.5 out of the circuit.
and 4.16 inside with the red lead on the silver striped side of the diode.

anyways to test the ic chips with a multimeter?

artifus

Quote from: R.G. on June 12, 2013, 10:21:21 AM
I have a suggestion. If you already have everything you need to replace them, why not do them all? We're talking two ICs, three electrolytic caps and one diode.

Replacing those would take less time than you've already spent typing about the issue. Clip the leads off the ICs and diode, walk the electros out a lead at a time, then melt the solder sides of the pads and poke a wooden toothpick into the hole while the solder is molten to clear the hole. Pop in parts, being careful to get the orientation correct, then solder.

Jdansti

Whoa!!!  Am I missing something here.  The PS reads 4.5V before you even connect it to a pedal that requires 9V? I'm not a math genius, but it seems to me that you've only got about 1/2 the voltage required for this pedal to operate properly.  You need to fix your PS problem and see how the pedal reacts with sufficient voltage before doing anything else. Sorry of I misunderstood your voltage readings. :)
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Nyklus

ok power supply is PS, right? Im using a 9 volt battery.
I measured across the battery leads and it was 4.5v. maybe the juice is low.

then i measured from the ground of the battery while plugged in to the holster, and the lead to the end of the diode.

is this wrong. I feel like the reading is accurate because the current is not traveling through anything but this diode.

Thecomedian

a full 9v battery reads between 9-10 volts, sometimes even a tiny bit more. an empty one reads 6-8 volts.

Try a new battery?

And is tha diode rated for at least 500ma and 9+ volts?
If I can solve the problem for someone else, I've learned valuable skill and information that pays me back for helping someone else.

Nyklus

the best
i have is a 9 volt that reads 7.06
and 6.77 when in the circuit

and the diode reads
.550v
on the multimeter

Jdansti

It's very difficult to troubleshoot with a battery that's about 25% depleted.   Maybe the pedal will work with 7V, but if it doesn't, you won't be able to discern between problems caused by low power, and problems caused by other reasons.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Nyklus

okey thanks. I find a fresh one to use tonight,