Transistor question

Started by soupbone, April 07, 2013, 04:57:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soupbone

I  got  one  of  these  cheap  eleca  wah's  that  actually  has  some  really  good  parts  in  it!The  trannies  that  are  in  it  are  Silicon  BC158'S.Has  anybody  tried  these  in  a  crybaby  or  vox?

soupbone

I'm  not  sure  what  the  Hfe  of  them  are.

PRR

PNP Silicon, 25V 100mA, hFE runs 65 to 480 depending on _ A B marks.

Pretty much a 2N3906.

Circuit makes much more difference than transistors.
  • SUPPORTER

zombiwoof

It's odd that they used PNP transistors, if that's what they really are.  Vox and Crybaby pedals use NPN transistors.

Al

soupbone

Thanks  for  the  replies  fellers!I  building  a  custom  wah  right  now.I  want  to  go  with  lower  gain  transistors.Maybe  BC109's?Not  sure  yet.

Thecomedian

PNP transistors are claimed to be generally less noisy. Somewhere explained that it was due to transfer of "holes" or "carriers" as current rather than electrons. However, this Somewhere also claimed that the response rate of PNP is slower than the electron transferring NPN. I'm not sure about any of that.

Ah, here's one of the places.

http://www.tpub.com/neets/book7/25b.htm

If I can solve the problem for someone else, I've learned valuable skill and information that pays me back for helping someone else.

zombiwoof

Quote from: Thecomedian on April 07, 2013, 07:32:05 PM
PNP transistors are claimed to be generally less noisy. Somewhere explained that it was due to transfer of "holes" or "carriers" as current rather than electrons. However, this Somewhere also claimed that the response rate of PNP is slower than the electron transferring NPN. I'm not sure about any of that.

My point about these trannies being PNP is that it means they could not be used in a stock Vox/Crybaby wah (which use NPN) without changing the circuit, which was one of the questions asked.

Al

Thecomedian

If I can solve the problem for someone else, I've learned valuable skill and information that pays me back for helping someone else.

soupbone

Quote from: zombiwoof on April 08, 2013, 11:38:00 AM

I forgot about this thread!What I got some your info Al,is that you can't use a BC109 PNP trans. that it won't work in a NPN Wah Circuit? Would you have wire the polarity backwards,like a pnp fuzz face?

My point about these trannies being PNP is that it means they could not be used in a stock Vox/Crybaby wah (which use NPN) without changing the circuit, which was one of the questions asked.

Al

zombiwoof

Quote from: soupbone on February 15, 2014, 05:32:26 AM
Quote from: zombiwoof on April 08, 2013, 11:38:00 AM

I forgot about this thread!What I got some your info Al,is that you can't use a BC109 PNP trans. that it won't work in a NPN Wah Circuit? Would you have wire the polarity backwards,like a pnp fuzz face?

Al

BC109 transistors are NPN, if your wah really uses PNP transistors, you can't put BC109's in it without circuit alterations to use NPN transistors.  BC109B's, in the 300-400 hfe gain range, are great in a Crybaby/Vox type wah that uses NPN's, but again you say yours uses PNP, so no go.

Al